RE: [sceptredisle] Welcome to All New Members!

  • Patrick Callahan
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
      33 MALE HOUTSTON TEXAS USA

      All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial!
      http://www.windowsonecare.com/trial.aspx?sc_cid=msn_hotmail
    • Patrick Callahan
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
        I High School my Freshmen World History teacher was a Football coach, but
        contrary to the stereotype, he was also a history buff. He was one of the
        best teachers I ever had. He inspired his students and taut us in a way
        that caused us you connect with history on a very human level. This in some
        part may have inspired my later interest in living history and historical
        reenactment.

        Get the new Windows Live Messenger!
      • Patrick Callahan
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
          NOTE: in the 1990's when I attended High School "World History" was the
          study of Europe, as if there were nothing else in the world worth studying
          besides Europe. World History very briefly covered everything from
          antiquity to the 17oo's. American History covered the time span from
          antiquity to 18oo's in what is now the contiguous United Stated, with some
          brief mention that there was the Mayan Civilization in South America. We
          were never taut anything about the 20th century and a better understanding
          of that topic is sorely need among my classmates, as some know quite a bit
          wile others know next to nothing. I agree as whole US citizens are lacking
          in understanding basic geography, but there again it was not taut in our
          school with any comprehensive study. The most that was ever required was
          that we could identify the Continents of the Earth.

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
            I have never been to England or to my supposed ancestral home land of
            Ireland. In general I have never been out side the contiguous United
            States, but there is plenty I have never seen, even within this boundary.
            The closest I have ever been to Great Britain is the city Washington D.C. I
            have learned the little I know of British culture from Monty Python and
            Public Television. Though we also get broadcasts of the BBC World Service
            down here some times.

          • Patrick Callahan
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
              Here is the site I used "How to Wrap the Great Kilt".
              It has clear photographic instructions.

              http://www.tartanweb.com/greatkilt/

              A great kilt is basically a 60 inch (salvage to
              salvage) piece of plaid. Some times two narrower
              pieces are sewn together this is more historically
              accurate (25 sewn to 25 for fifty which is common
              width in the time period or 30 sewn to 30 for the full
              60). They are typically between 4 and 6 yard wide,
              either hemmed or hemmed to fringe. Some times they
              are fringed all the way around, which looks great but
              is a lot of work.

              Tartans of the time likely more closely resembled a
              checkered table cloth than the tartans of today.
              Tartans like Northumberland, Rob Roy, Moncrieff, Gow
              Clan and Shepherd's Plaid are the closest to the old
              tartans and are often commercially available. Robin
              Hood and Braveheart are fanciful tartans that maintain
              the old style.

              The earliest mention of the great kilt according to
              Matthew A. C. Newsome (of
              http://albanach.org/quair.html from SCOTTISH ARTICLES)
              comes from the Life of Red Hugh O�Donnell, written in
              Irish Gaelic in 1594. He described the great kilt as
              an outer garment worn over a tunic called a leine.
              Numerous sources and patterns exist for making a 16th
              century leine. Commonly called a saffron shirt, though
              they were in fact full length tunic, leine are often
              referred to a pleated or having pleated skirts though
              this is hardly true of every such garment.

              Here are some possible links for the shirt, but there
              are many others.

              1.) http://www.garbtheworld.com/items/g0003.shtml

              2.)
              http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/patterns.html

              Sincerely

              Lost and Confused

              (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
              opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)

              Got something to buy, sell or swap? Try Windows Live Expo
              ttp://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwex0010000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://expo.live.com/
            • Bill Barber
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 1, 2006
                Not so. It was the Irish and Scots who, in large part, built my part of Canada. And theirs are the names on our cenotaphs.

                Danny wrote:

                lol Americans must be the only people in the world to actually be proud
                of Irish ancestry!

              • Patrick Callahan
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Hi:

                  I am am American and I am PROUD of my Irish Ancestry or I am Proud to have
                  an Irish surname at least, because as an American I know very little about
                  my own ancestry or the history of those people who might be my ancestors. I
                  conclusion: if I am any example, it could well be said that Americans (U.S.
                  citizens specifically) are the only people in the world that are proud of
                  being ignorant.

                  Patrick Callahan
                  Aka. Lost and Confused