Alfred the Great

  • stephenmlark
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6 2:00 PM
      As the latest exhumed monarch, awaiting identification, shall we discuss his life, times and posthumous existence?
    • Bill Ramsay
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6 2:39 PM
        He enabled a British people to live, didn't he? King of Wessex died in 899 AD? He beat back the Vikings, wasn't it?

        Bill

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7 7:59 AM
          That's right.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7 8:15 AM
            King Alfred The Great did what he had to do, to beat the Vikings. And his strategy, if I remember both a recent History Channel show about him, and from readings I did of a half century ago, he used fortresses all over the place. That worked well for his time and place, given that the Vikings didn't have a siege train (like the "artillery" of the time - trebuchets and other stone throwing catapult stuff).

            However, extrapolating weaknesses of "then" to today's situations, his people were still terribly vulnerable and still had weaker "coping skills" than did the Vikings of Danelaw.

            And when the Romans had left in 410 AD (this was the very same year that Alaric sacked Rome - surely a deep psychological shock to the Romans), essentially Rome in Britain had been the equivalent of what today we call "the Nanny State". The "kids" (ordinary people in both ages, now and then) don't need "fierce" coping skills because "the Nanny" is there to protect them!

            How some ever, "Nannies" have 2 bad habits. One is, too often they go away. Second, a "benevolent Nanny" can suddenly get very hostile. In both cases, what then?

            In the case of the Britons of 410 AD, they were basically defenseless. Use the analogy, if you will, when the Saxons came in, of the police being pulled out and the "Britons' neighborhood" suddenly was ruled by vicious gangs. It was Hell On Earth for them.

            Or let's say "The Nanny" turns vicious. Take the citizenry of too many European countries like in the mid-1930's. The European populations were so "cowed" (using a US Western phrase) by "keep the streets safe" laws and views, that when people (yes, this IS going to Jewish populations in Germany and elsewhere) were summoned to their deaths, basically, they were so obedient that all the Gestapo had to do was send postcards to these families, "show up at such a departure point on such a day and time" and they did it obediently, like sheep!

            Yes, partially, I'm "going there" regarding the current US debate about "bearing arms". I feel ambivalent about the issue myself. But with the "War On Terror", we've given "that Nanny" far more powers than probably is wise!

            We're mortally fearful of risk. And aggressively confronting risk is what made the British into the magnificent empire they were for so many hundreds of years!

            Go figure!

            Thanks for reading this one, folks!

            Bill

            > He enabled a British people to live, didn't he? King of Wessex died in 899 AD? He beat back the Vikings, wasn't it?
            >
            > Bill

          • marion davis
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7 2:41 PM
              Like Richard III, Alfred the Great set his minor-aged nephews aside.  He wasn't vilified, as Richard III was.

              Marion
            • stephenmlark
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8 7:32 AM
                That's another good point - Alfred through necessity and Richard through the (medieval canon) law.