Next subject, please?

  • stephenmlark
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
      Suggestions:
    • Anne Gilbert
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010

        Stephen:

        Maybe it's time for more Anglo-Saxons?
        Anne G

        Suggestions:

      • Charles Fregeau
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010

          I’ve got a question.

          Where did Elizabeth I get her red hair from?   I know Katherine Swinford was a red-head, for instance.  And part of Elizabeth’s ancestry was Scottish, also.

          Red must be a recessive gene.  I’m also decended from John of Gaunt and Katherine Swinford, but my hair was russet colored for only about a year, then it went bleached blonde all by itself, and didn’t darken to a mousy brown until I was well along in high school.

          Charles Fregeau

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
            Hi!

            I did not know that Katherine had red hair for sure. I have thought that was still up for question. It would make sense as my family is descended from her through at least two of her children and red heads run in the family.

            Bonnie

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
              Doomsday Book and related topics
              Mike McCarthy
            • stephenmlark
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
                Elizabeth I was 25% Welsh of course - but the red hair gene must have come from somewhere else in the long term. Further east?

                --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, dazzle_3206@... wrote:

                > Hi!
                >
                > I did not know that Katherine had red hair for sure. I have thought that was still up for question. It would make sense as my family is descended from her through at least two of her children and red heads run in the family.
                >
                > Bonnie
                > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

              • Anne Gilbert
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
                  All:

                  In the short term, she seems to have gotten it from her father, Henry VIII, who had kind of reddish-blond hair. Farther back? Who knows?
                  Anne G

                  Elizabeth I was 25% Welsh of course - but the red hair gene must have come from somewhere else in the long term. Further east?

                  --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, dazzle_3206@... wrote:

                  > Hi!
                  >
                  > I did not know that Katherine had red hair for sure. I have thought that was still up for question. It would make sense as my family is descended from her through at least two of her children and red heads run in the family.
                  >
                  > Bonnie
                  > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

                • Bill Barber
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
                    Wasn't there some mention of reddish hair in the droolish remains of Edward IV when his coffin was opened? I have the sense that Henry VIII resembled his grandfather in many ways. He didn't really resemble his father all that much.

                    Anne Gilbert wrote:

                    All:

                    In the short term, she seems to have gotten it from her father, Henry VIII, who had kind of reddish-blond hair. Farther back? Who knows?
                    Anne G

                    Elizabeth I was 25% Welsh of course - but the red hair gene must have come from somewhere else in the long term. Further east?

                    --- In sceptredisle@ yahoogroups. com, dazzle_3206@ ... wrote:

                    > Hi!
                    >
                    > I did not know that Katherine had red hair for sure. I have thought that was still up for question. It would make sense as my family is descended from her through at least two of her children and red heads run in the family.
                    >
                    > Bonnie
                    > Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

                  • Anne Gilbert
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
                      Bill:
                      : Re: [sceptredisle] Re: Next subject, please?

                      Wasn't there some mention of reddish hair in the droolish remains of Edward IV when his coffin was opened? I have the sense that Henry VIII resembled his grandfather in many ways. He didn't really resemble his father all that much.

                      I don't know. Edward IV was described, as a young, handsome "ladie's man". IIf my memory serves me, he was described as "golden haired".  However, there were Plantagenets who who apparently had light red or reddish-blond hair. Richard I for example.

                      Anne G

                    • elena
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010

                        Henry VIII had red hair, and so did Mary Stuart.

                        Isabel and Castile and at least two of her daughters (Juana and Catherine of Aragon) had reddish hair.  Isabel was descended from John of Gaunt (her paternal grandmother, Catherine of Lancaster, was John of Gaunt’s daughter).  Catherine of Lancaster was described in “Generaciones y Semblanzas”, by Fernan Perez Guzman, as tall, blonde and rather masculine.

                        Here are some portraits of Isabel and her daughters:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_I_of_Castile

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanna_of_Castile

                        http://z.about.com/d/historymedren/1/0/X/F/2/05youngcatar.jpg

                        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Catherine_of_Aragon_as_Mary_Magdalene._jpg/180px-Catherine_of_Aragon_as_Mary_Magdalene._jpg

                        http://www.oceansbridge.com/paintings/collections/old-masters-collection/big/Juan_De_FlandesxxPortrait_of_an_Infanta_Catherine_of_Aragon.jpg

                        (I don’t agree that this is Catherine:  I think it looks much more like Juana).

                        Maria

                        Elena@...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 9, 2010
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 14, 2010
                            Not sure how you get 25% - if you assume that her gt-gt-grandfather Owen Tudor was 100% Welsh then Elizabeth would have been 6.25% Welsh by her genes. As far as I know the Boleyns, Howards, Yorks, Woodvilles, Luxemburgs, Beauforts, Beauchamps and Valois on the distaff side of her ancestry would not have added to her Welshness.

                            You could argue that Henry VII was 25% Welsh, as well as half Beaufort and a quarter Valois, and born in "Little England Beyond Wales" at Pembroke.

                            Richard G