Re: [sceptredisle] Shall we argue about something? Parthians ?

  • diomedes5465@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2006
      The Romans were well renowned for recruiting units in one part of the Empire and moving them to another and the early Cataphracti and Clibanarii were certainly raised in the Eastern parts of the Empire, there is earlier evidence of Parthian and Eastern soldiers in Britannia as evidenced by their gravestones and no doubt some of their descendants were still in the province and carrying their family names which might suggest an Eastern origin even if the family had been further East than Dover in a Century or more.   HOWEVER the practice of raising recruits in the area where a unit had originaly been recruited and then sending them to the unit itself had long decayed by the 4th Century and most units had been recuiting locally for a Century or more.  "Arthur" is supposedly early 5th Century and post  the magic date of 410 so the Garrison of Britannia would not have had access to recruits from the rest of the Empire.  The concept of an early 5th Century recruit travelling from Parthia to Britannia is mind boggling - not least is the question of WHY ?  Plus the unlikely fact that the Eastern Empire would not send valued heavy cavalry to the Western and CERTAINLY NOT to a province outside of the Empire which has been abandoned.

      The movie of "Arthur" which promulgates the theory (although it has been suggested before, but has never achieved any academic credibility, not leasy because of the point above - for which I claim no originality by the way) also has a "human tax", in the same way that the Ottomans later recruited their Yeni Cheri (Janissary) Corps, and this is a total fiction.  There is no record of the Romans ever recruiting any part of their Army, be it 'Regular', Auxilia, or Allies, in such a way.

      Anyway I have a massive "Down" on the last Arthur movie - historically, costume, script, etc.  It was just SOOOO Bad and don't even mention the continuity or the military points.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2006
        Not to be outdone, the British decided they were descended from Brutus of Troy.

        Volker Bach wrote:
        Am Montag, 29. Mai 2006 22:56 schrieb S.Kevin Wojtaszek:

        > Gee, and I thought you meant the Mexican-American War!

        Nah, this place is supposed to be about British history, isn't it?

        > Someone on Parthia.com posted something about both the Saxons and the
        > Scythians being derived from the "Saka People". Any comments?

        I guess if the Franks can be Trojans and the Hessians descended from the
        Hittites, who am I to deny the Anglo-Saxons their own illustrious ancestry?

        Volker