Re: [sceptredisle] england's first civil war

  • michael mccarthy
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009
      <<Agreed -- to a point.  Some writers and historians sometimes make medieval people out to be a lot more "pious" than they may actually have been.  The writer Sharon Kay Penman seems to do this, and sometimes these characterizations are in conflict with what admittedly sometimes little, that I know about them.  OTOH, the Church was pretty important in some ways, as a kind of "political party", as itc were.,  As far as the so-called Anarchy is concerned, though, I don't think many of the major players listened too carefully to whatever the Church was telling them at the time.  At least that's my impression of the whole thing.>>

      I agree up to a point<g>  I think "superstitious" may be a better word than "pious".  I think religion was more woven into their lives and a more central part of it than today not that they were more religious.  The very fact that they were forced to tithe was a major factor. The Church was very real and dominant and there were no options.
    • Anne Gilbert
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2009

        MIchael:

        I think a lot depends on how one views the Church in the Middle Ages.  I do agree with you that  "religion", in the broadest sense of the term, played much more of a part in the lives of people in Western Europe, in medieval times, than it does today; people tended to organize their lives around things like certain religious festivals and ceremonies, and there's no doubt that the Church did loom large in people's lives in certain ways, and less importantly in others.   I put "pious" in quotes precisely for the reason that that "piety" in medieval times probably wasn't quite like what we would think of as "piety" nowadays.  There weren't  any other options than "belief" as there are today,  but there were varying degrees of "belief", and many people were surprisingly rational or "cynical" for their times, though of course you couldn't directly oppose the Church, as it was basically a powerful political entity, in somewhat the same way as political factions or parties are today in many parts of the world.
        Anne G