Posthumous executions

  • Stephen Lark
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2008
      Wycliffe,I think it was, died of natural causes during Richard II's
      time only to be disinterred and burned when the Lancastrian Kings
      arrived.

      A convicted thief was hanged during Edward VI's reign. His last words
      at Tyburn were (iirc) "God damn the Bishop of Rome". He too was exhumed
      and burned.

      Oliver Cromwell was exhumed, hanged and beheaded after the Restoration.

      Any more examples? PS What is the point?
    • Kevin O'Malley
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2008
        Yes, John Wycliff died peacably saying mass in 1384. His followers were called "Lollards" which means "mumblers of prayers and psalms" & they continued his direction of attacking the Roman Church in England including petitioning parliament to implement Church reforms. This was crushed by the king in 1401 under a statute entitled "De Heretico Comburendo".
        I suppose incidents such as digging him & in the 1600's Cromwell up and desecrating the remains is thought send out some kind of statement that they had the last word on the matter?

        "I can only say that I am a poor sinner, trusting in Christ alone for salvation"
        -General Robert E. Lee, 1864

        Wycliffe,I think it was, died of natural causes during Richard II's
        time only to be disinterred and burned when the Lancastrian Kings
        arrived.

        A convicted thief was hanged during Edward VI's reign. His last words
        at Tyburn were (iirc) "God damn the Bishop of Rome". He too was
        exhumed
        and burned.

        Oliver Cromwell was exhumed, hanged and beheaded after the Restoration.

        Any more examples? PS What is the point?

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:sceptredisle-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:sceptredisle-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bill Ramsay
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 2, 2008
          Regarding disinterring and hanging, or whatever, in Homilies (sermons) our Roman Catholic priests stress (in the cases of the "Faithful Departed") that survivors go and visit the grave sites as well as remember them in other ways (say prayers for the souls of the "Faithful Departed", and other remembrances).

          Their remains, their final resting places are deemed very significant, and should be visited and prayers said over the remains. Also, a person can be denied burial in Sacred Ground if it was determined that in life, their sins were too big.

          I'd have to say that people (including their remains) are supposed to rest quietly until tne 2nd coming of Christ, and not be disturbed or desecrated in any way. This hanging, I have to suppose, means that the person, no mattter how honored in life, was now despicable and hanging and whatever other desecration was utterly deserved by these bones.

          This is my speculation, my 2 cents' worth.

          Bill

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sceptredis le/join