Re: A find you will (maybe) love to hear about

  • Ken & Caroline Donovan
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
      >Paul wrote:
      >Then there are those many "historical" novels where people
      say things
      >like 'forsooth thou takest mine words but lightly milord' and
      such
      >medievalspeak!

      >Anne Gilbert wrote:
      >here's a lot of that in
      certain kinds of romance novels, and it's not
      >just confined to the
      medieval period, either.

      >I'm kind of inclined toward "speaking
      forsoothly".
      Aye, good lady, thou art alluding to those like unto myself who needs speak thusly in our profession, verily, speaking in "King James version" English!

      Caroline (who can parse any verb in second or third person singular!)
    • Stephen Lark
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Lark"
        <stephenmlark@...> wrote:

        > --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, Anne Gilbert <avgilbert@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Stephen:
        > >
        > > This /*is*/ interesting. I kinda knew about the family's
        > Lancastrian
        > > leanings before 1485. I used to be really interested in the Wars
        > of the
        > > Roses, and, in a way that kind of got me into my writing, and in
        an
        > even
        > > more roundabout way, got me into your group. However, my
        interest
        > > shifted to earlier periods(Anglo-Saxons, for instance), and a lot
        > of
        > > what I learned "back then", just kind of got stuffed into
        > my "memory
        > > bank". Nothing wrong with that; all the Ricardians on this list
        > are
        > > refreshing my memory rather rapidly. Anyway, aside from /*my
        > */hoping
        > > people will bring up some other topics, I hope this tidbit will
        > > stimulate some discussion. Otherwise, I'll just keep my eye out
        > for
        > > more tidbits that someone might be interested in around here!
        > > Anne G
        > >
        > The Staffords, as representatives of one of Edward III's younger
        sons
        > and as minor Beauforts subject to their little handicap, are one
        of
        > the most interesting families in Medieval England and beyond. There
        > is a book by John Martin Robinson (the Staffords, £25 or try your
        > library) and there is a smaller publication(!!!).
        >
        > PS Thanks to Jacob and the odd website, I have traced Richard III's
        > double descent from Ethelred II, also from Llewellyn the Great. I
        > expect to post this in a month or two.

        What a good thing I haven't posted it yet. Due to his descent from
        Philippa of Ulster, I can add the Kings of Leinster and the Strongbow
        Earl of Pembroke (thanks, Marie) together with William Marshal and
        Edmund Crouchback.

        > > Stephen Lark wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com
        > > > <mailto:sceptredisle%40yahoogroups.com>, Anne Gilbert
        <avgilbert@>

        > > > Continuous rebellion, in short. Harry's son was executed
        (talking
        > out
        > > > of turn, really) in 1521, his granddaughter (Pilgrimage of
        Grace)

        Date: