4921RE: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18240901

  • stephenmlark
    Sep 17, 2013

      --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, <phaecilia@...> wrote:

       They can't rexamine the evidence soon enough for me.

      Ashdown-Hill says in the chapter on King Charles II that DNA evidence has proved he was Monmouth's father.  If they can test King Charles' DNA, why can't they do an impartial, thorough, state-of-the-art study of the bones in the urn?  Until that happens, I'll never believe those bones aren't pre-Roman.

      --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, <sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Yes, there is evidence that Owen's remains were not retrieved from Hereford at the Reformation even when Edmund's were from Carmarthen.

      There are contemporary rumours that Edmund and Catherine had a relationship and there is no mention in English history of the "House of Tudor" until Hume in c.1760.

      Time for a widespread re-examination of the evidence, I think.

      --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, <phaecilia@...> wrote:

      I read it first in John Ashdown-Hill's new book, Royal Marriage Secrets.  There's a full page illustration comparing Owen Tudor's coat of arms with Edumund Beaufort's.  Edmund and Jasper "Tudor" both have coats of arms that match Beaufort's, except that they have different borders to show they are cadets.  Ashdown-Hill suggests that Edmund Beaufort may have been as capable of "marital mischief" as Edward IV or Henry VIII.  There's a lot more in the book that's worth reading, but I'll stop here.

      I think Ashdown-Hill's suggestion adds new dimensions to the Tudor Myth.

      This is the second time this year I've seen his research sidelined by a university.  I think he deserves more credit for his work, and I hope he gets it.

      --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, <sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      So what do we all think of the suggestion that Edmund and Jasper were not Owen Tudor's sons?

      --- In sceptredisle@yahoogroups.com, <stephenmlark@...> wrote:

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic