Reprints, movies, and TV?

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2011

      Got some good news today: McGraw Hill is renewing their license to use an excerpt (about freefall) from Space Station Science and expanding the coverage to North America. This means they will be printing 250,000 copies of a few pages of my book during the next 6 years! This is in the school market, so this is great exposure for me, and they are also paying a nice tidy sum for this permission.

      Ah, the life of a writer. We just sit around and eat bon bons while the money rolls in! Yeah, right…

      Just to balance things out, I should tell you that the Hollywood producer that had been shopping around my novelette, “Fly Me to the Moon,” said that although there was some interest, he couldn’t get any firm commitment out of the studios. So our shopping agreement wasn’t renewed. Sorry Carmen, but we won’t be attending any movie premier!

      As a sort of consolation prize, I did get a copy of the Russian magazine that includes this story in the mail today. (They paid me $75 for reprint rights.) I can’t post the magazine cover on my website as planned, though. It has a nude woman on it!  Sigh. At least that illustration is not for MY story!

      Even though I seem to have run out of luck in Hollywood, I might be appearing on the National Geographic Channel next fall. As a member of a science fiction “think tank” called SIGMA, I’m an unpaid consultant to a show they are producing called “Evacuate Earth.” The premise is that something is on a collision course with the sun and/or Earth that will result in its total destruction. The question is then how do we get all the people off and where would we go? I can’t discuss the details, but needless to say, there are lots of cool ideas being bounced around, and I’m having a blast with it. They aren’t paying me, but they will cover my expenses to fly to their studio in New York for an on-camera interview in January. If I don’t totally “geek out,” they might use some excerpt of this interview in the show.

      Now if I can just get that editor at Scholastic to respond positively to my book proposal from last June, I could use the extra TV exposure to help drive sales.

      But my timing is notoriously bad, so I’m not stocking up on the bon bons. Besides, I need to save room for the goodies at our meeting Monday night!

      See you all there.

      Marianne

      Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

      Former NASA Flight Controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson

    • anna church