RE: [scbwi-houston] Crystal in PW!

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011

      >I recently found a library site where the librarian had actually created a list of "clean books" for middle graders.

      But I hate when they use the term “clean books.” It implies that books with heavier language and some sexual content are “dirty.” I wish these librarians would find a better way to label them. Still, she’s making selection easier.

      ~d

      Dotti Enderle

      * * *

      CROSSWIRE (Boyds Mills/Calkins Creek)

      * Texas Institute of Letters Young Adult Award Recipient

      * June Franklin Naylor Award for Best Children’s Book on Texas History

      * WWA Spur Award Finalist

         www.dottienderle.com

    • Christina Mandelski
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
        Yeah, I agree, I have a problem with the "clean" term too. They simply need to say "appropriate" or maybe even come up with a different word that won't scare kids off (who wants to read something that's "appropriate?", lol!)

        It's a tough nut to crack, but I think events like Tween festivals are starting to make it a little easier for those pre- and newly turned teenagers to find great books. I think its so important for people to understand it's not about banning them from certain books, it's about matching them up with the books that speak to who they are and their stage of life.

        I mean, I got my hands on a copy of Judy Blume's Wifey in 6th grade (don't tell my mother!). I had many questions after I read it, but I was mostly just mortified. It wasn't the right time for me to read that book! (though my mother would probably be very glad to know that it made me never want to have sex, ever!)

        Anyway, I'm glad people are talking about Tweens as if they are a valid demographic of readers, which they absolutely are!!

        Hope everyone is enjoying this COOOOL Saturday! Feels like Autumn!!

        Chris

        THE SWEETEST THING, Egmont USA, May 2011
        www.christinamandelski.com
        www.willwrite4cake.blogspot.com

        >I recently found a library site where the librarian had actually created a list of "clean books" for middle graders.

        But I hate when they use the term “clean books.” It implies that books with heavier language and some sexual content are “dirty.” I wish these librarians would find a better way to label them. Still, she’s making selection easier.

        ~d

        Dotti Enderle

        * * *

        CROSSWIRE (Boyds Mills/Calkins Creek)

        * Texas Institute of Letters Young Adult Award Recipient

        * June Franklin Naylor Award for Best Children’s Book on Texas History

        * WWA Spur Award Finalist

           www.dottienderle.com

      • Ana Maria Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011
          Maybe books could have a label equivalent to the one for movies and TV shows which indicate the type of content:
          PG 14, SL, V, SS (strong language, violence, sexual situations.)
          PG 12, SL, V
          But this probably would not deter young readers, on the contrary, it may make them curious and inclined to read the book. For librarians, the label  might help with a classification without implying good or bad. Just a thought inspired by a recent parent's complain I heard about books 'out there with kid-appealing covers but with age-inappropriate content.' Talking about judging a book by the cover!

          Ana Maria
          Sent from my iPad

          On Nov 5, 2011, at 11:23 AM, Christina Mandelski <christinamandelski@...> wrote:

          Yeah, I agree, I have a problem with the "clean" term too. They simply need to say "appropriate" or maybe even come up with a different word that won't scare kids off (who wants to read something that's "appropriate?", lol!)

          It's a tough nut to crack, but I think events like Tween festivals are starting to make it a little easier for those pre- and newly turned teenagers to find great books. I think its so important for people to understand it's not about banning them from certain books, it's about matching them up with the books that speak to who they are and their stage of life.

          I mean, I got my hands on a copy of Judy Blume's Wifey in 6th grade (don't tell my mother!). I had many questions after I read it, but I was mostly just mortified. It wasn't the right time for me to read that book! (though my mother would probably be very glad to know that it made me never want to have sex, ever!)

          Anyway, I'm glad people are talking about Tweens as if they are a valid demographic of readers, which they absolutely are!!

          Hope everyone is enjoying this COOOOL Saturday! Feels like Autumn!!

          Chris

          THE SWEETEST THING, Egmont USA, May 2011
          www.christinamandelski.com
          www.willwrite4cake.blogspot.com

          >I recently found a library site where the librarian had actually created a list of "clean books" for middle graders.

          But I hate when they use the term “clean books.” It implies that books with heavier language and some sexual content are “dirty.” I wish these librarians would find a better way to label them. Still, she’s making selection easier.

          ~d

          Dotti Enderle

          * * *

          CROSSWIRE (Boyds Mills/Calkins Creek)

          * Texas Institute of Letters Young Adult Award Recipient

          * June Franklin Naylor Award for Best Children’s Book on Texas History

          * WWA Spur Award Finalist

             www.dottienderle.com

            >I recently found a library site where the librarian had actually created a list of "clean books" for middle graders.

            But I hate when they use the term “clean books.” It implies that books with heavier language and some sexual content are “dirty.” I wish these librarians would find a better way to label them. Still, she’s making selection easier.

            ~d

            Dotti Enderle

            * * *

            CROSSWIRE (Boyds Mills/Calkins Creek)

            * Texas Institute of Letters Young Adult Award Recipient

            * June Franklin Naylor Award for Best Children’s Book on Texas History

            * WWA Spur Award Finalist

               www.dottienderle.com

            No virus found in this message.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 5, 2011

              Ana, lots of publishers say if a book is for 12 and up or Grades 9 – 12, which is helpful for librarians, but kids mature differently. Their needs are different, so I’m not sure a rating system would help. I’d hate to see a 13-year-old struggling emotionally with problems like cutting or anorexia and not have access to books on those subjects because they’re labeled as too mature.

              And I’m curious to know which books have kid-appealing covers and adult content. I read lots of middle-grade and YA books and haven’t encountered that.

              ~d

              Dotti Enderle

              * * *