Re: Important Picture Book workshop and Darcy Pattison registration (long)

  • Vicki Sansum
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2011
      Hi all,
      Two reminders of Registration Deadlines:
      All details, registration form, reading list, etc. for the October 1 picture book workshop is on our site www.scbwi-houston.org

      Making the Most of Your Picture Book Manuscripts
      A Picture Book Intensive with author
      Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:30am-4:30pm
      Registration opens: July 25.
      Deadline for Early bird rate for SCBWI members: August 15 is $30.
      After August 15: SCBWI members $40, non-members $50
      Limited number of written critiques available for a special conference fee of $70.
      Deadline to postmark manuscripts for written critique: September 1

      Caldecott Liz Garton Scanlon
      St. Martin’s Episcopal Church, 717 Sage Road at Woodway, Houston, TX
      This cost includes lunch. During the day coffee, water and iced tea will be provided however, there is not a
      soda machine on campus so if you'd like soda, it's okay to bring your own. Lunch will be from Jason's Deli
      and there will be vegetarian choices. Also, this is a non-smoking campus.
      .
      The critiques will be written, there are no face-to-face critiques.
      Sky-high expectations and very little real estate: Today’s picture book market is tighter than ever – and you
      have to find your place in it with fewer than 1,000 words. During this one-day intensive, we’ll answer to that
      daunting proposition by investigating the form and practicing the craft – from idea-making to storyboarding to
      wordsmithing – so you can give your picture book manuscripts the edge they need. Special topics include
      Rhyme, Writing Animal Characters, and Re-Vision. All participants will be asked to pre-read a selection
      of picture books and prepare a draft for in-class exercises.

      For those who write middle-grade, tween or young adult, below are the details to a novel revision workshop. Alert: Registration opens at 6:00 am (that's right, in the morning) on Monday August 15. Email me that day if you want to attend. I will email the first 24 people confirmation. If we don't fill up on August 15th with our Houston members, I'll remind our other Texas chapters about the workshop, so please email me on August 15th if you'd like a spot.

      Novel Revision Workshop
      Limited to 24 people. Must be an SCBWI member.

      On January 13-15, 2012, we are hosting a novel-revision workshop led by Darcy Pattison (www.darcypattison.com). For those of you aren't familiar with Darcy, she is well-known for her amazing workshops and the great results that come from them. This workshop is for authors who have a finished middle-grade or young adult novel. Your novel must be finished by November 1, 2011. Each attendee will receive three manuscripts (by other attendees) to be read before the workshop.

      The workshop begins on Friday afternoon and ends Sunday morning. This is an intensive weekend, full of learning, writing and critiquing. Camp Allen is in Navasota, in a beautiful wooded setting. The rooms are in the hotel on the grounds, only yards away from the lodge where the actual workshop takes place. The cafeteria is in the lodge. The meals will include vegetarian selections.

      Here is a link to Camp Allen (http://www.campallen.org/).

      Cost for the retreat is $340 for a single room, $270 for a double room. These costs include lodging for two nights, workshop fee and all meals. Registration is limited to 24 people. We will open registration August 15, 2011.

      On August 15 at 6:00 am, I will start accepting registrations at my email address. The first 24 people will receive a confirmation and have one week to mail in their registration fee. After that, we will go to the first name on the waiting list until we sell out.

      Please email me with any questions.
      vsansum@...