Book donations to the schools of Joplin, Missouri

  • Kelly Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2011

      The Missouri Writers Guild is collecting books for the Joplin schools,
      which were nearly destroyed by the recent tornado.
      MWG president Deb Marshall said, "They have to replace books for K-12.
      The high school was a total loss, as was one middle school and one
      elementary. Another elementary and one additional middle school were major, but not
      total losses. They have also asked us to assist with helping to restore
      the Teacher Resource Center, which was totaled also. They're looking for
      fiction, nonfiction and resource books.

      "Books can be shipped by Media Mail to: Deb Marshall, 1203 Spartina
      Drive, Florissant, MO 63031," she said. "They have no place to store anything
      yet, so we're shipping to me until their Resource Librarian has her location
      established the third week of June, at which time we'll make a delivery and
      she can begin to catalog. Anything they cannot use will be distributed to
      military families in the area. Joplin has a number of National Guard
      units that have been deployed on numerous occasions to both Iraq and
      Afghanistan."

      Deb's email is deb.marshall7 at gmail.com.
      I know you have been generous in the past and often look for good homes
      for gently used books. Please forward this message to any lists where you
      think people might be able to help.

      Thank you so much for encouraging writers to step up for this. The Joplin community needs it and the Missouri Writers' Guild appreciates it as well.

      Best regards,
      Deb Marshall
      President, Missouri Writers' Guild