Question / Advise

  • PamLV@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
      A Q. for the seasoned novel / chapter book writers.

      Do you ever put excerpts of your stories on your websites / blogs before they are bought / published?

      Pam V.
    • Deborah Frontiera
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011

        I have the opening couple of chapters of all three books of my fantasy trilogy on my web site as "free downloads". That way people can read a bit, and if it hooks them, hit the "buy" button. Have a small sample of Living on Sisu up there, too. I feel it lets people read more than the back cover, but doesn't give them the whole story.
        Debbie

      • ReadGarland@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          Pam--

          I haven't done it, but I know of other authors who have.  In my opinion, an excerpt on your website is not much different than an excerpt in a review -- just enough to give the reader a taste of the novel.  A lot of mystery novels include the first chapter of the next novel in the back as an enticement. And who knows, maybe an editor or agent will come across the sample writing and get interested.

          See you at TLA!

          Sherry

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
            Thank you, Sherry.  I'm thinking the chapter in the back of a book is a promotional tool for the already bought next manuscript / book.  Good food for thought though.  I really want to put more than a pitch line out there and am so new at this novel thing.