Re: reading aloud

  • Vicki Sansum
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2011
      Hi all,
      Below is a message from the Regional Advisor listserv. An author, Rick Walton, is looking for stories about the impact that reading aloud has on students. Here is the message, respond to the link in the message if you have a story to share.
      Thanks!
      Vicki

      Hi Folks -
      I know that this is a bit off-topic from SCBWI business, but this is
      something that affects us all as writers and illustrators.

      Author Rick Walton has set up a blog to collect anecdotes about the impact
      of reading aloud.

      Would you be willing to share your own personal story?
      _http://whyreadaloud. wordpress.com_ (http://whyreadaloud. wordpress.com/)

      As I travel around the country doing school visits, I'm shocked at the
      number of teachers who tell me that their administrators are saying "You don't
      have time to read aloud in the classroom." This really enrages me!

      We want to collect stories from people about how reading aloud has an
      impact - and even changes lives.

      This is what Rick writes as the introduction to the blog:

      "We want your stories
      Posted on _January 24, 2011_
      (http://whyreadaloud. wordpress.com/2011/01/24/ hello-world/) by _rockcanyon_
      (http://whyreadaloud. wordpress.com/author/ rockcanyon/)

      Did your teacher read aloud to you?
      Are you a teacher who reads aloud to your students?
      Tell your stories here. Post them in the comment section.
      And then we will figure out a way to get your stories to the
      administrators and teachers who need to hear them. Your story of how being read to made
      your life better might motivate a teacher to read to her kids and make
      their lives better.
      Please add your name and your occupation to your story. (If for some
      reason you do wish to remain anonymous, for example, if your story is about how
      you were in the middle of committing a major crime and you suddenly
      remembered something your teacher read to you which caused you to turn your life
      around, or if you are in the witness protection program you don’t have to
      post any identifying information.)"
      Please add your Reading Aloud story! _http://whyreadaloud. wordpress.com_
      (http://whyreadaloud. wordpress.com/)
      And pass this link to all your friends!