Re: [scbwi-houston] Fiction Rookie Reader submissions being accepted.

  • Merle Petersen
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2 9:21 AM
      Joe An,
      I had the same trouble and wrote to Eileen for the guidelines. She told me
      that she was revising them and to "just do the best you can." That isn't
      much help, and both libraries I went to didn't have any Rookie Readers.
      Hearing from a few other writers, they claim the same problem. I give up on
      this project...too vague!
      Merle
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2 9:47 AM
        JoAn and Merle,

        Type Rookie Readers into Amazon. Many of the books that come up are
        nonfiction, but some are fiction. Write down the titles and ask your public library to
        get them from interlibrary loan. Most libraries have Rookies, but they are
        scattered among the other books. Knowing the title and author makes the search
        easier.

      • ctbkaty@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2 9:49 AM
          Also,

          When I was first asked to write Rookies, I had them coming from all over town
          to my library. I read about 50 of them before attempting to write my own.
          Do plenty of homework before submitting. It will pay off in the long run.

        • JoAn Martin
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2 11:04 AM

            --
            JoAn Martin
            2407 Kilgore Rd.
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2 11:58 AM
              Thank you Carmen. What are the titles of the ones you have had published for
              the Rookies?
              Merle

            • ctbkaty@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2 3:06 PM
                Merle,

                All of my Rookies are nonfiction. Eileen is looking for fiction, so you'll
                have to track down some to read as examples.

              • Merle Petersen
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2 8:19 PM
                  Thank you, Carmen. Your work is an inspiration.
                  Merle

                  > All of my Rookies are nonfiction. Eileen is looking for fiction, so you'll
                  > have to track down some to read as examples.
                  >
                  > Carmen

                • Kelly Bennett
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5 7:20 PM
                    JoAn, to find the catalogue, look on the Children's Press/Franklin Watts
                    websites, too, check at the library, the librarian might be able to point
                    you right to some examples. Best of luck, Kelly

                    Kelly Goldman Bennett
                    22307 Stormcroft Lane
                    Katy, TX 77450-6700
                    phone: (281) 395-4620