RE: [scbwi-houston] Fiction Rookie Reader submissions being accepted.

  • Kelly Bennett
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2004
      Danny, I can't help you with this one. You might want to check the listing
      for books for beginning readers--or K-1st grade and in the fiction category.
      Best of luck, Kelly

      Kelly Goldman Bennett
      22307 Stormcroft Lane
      Katy, TX 77450-6700
      phone: (281) 395-4620
      fax: (281) 395-9833
      kelly@...

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
        Joe An,
        I had the same trouble and wrote to Eileen for the guidelines. She told me
        that she was revising them and to "just do the best you can." That isn't
        much help, and both libraries I went to didn't have any Rookie Readers.
        Hearing from a few other writers, they claim the same problem. I give up on
        this project...too vague!
        Merle
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
          JoAn and Merle,

          Type Rookie Readers into Amazon. Many of the books that come up are
          nonfiction, but some are fiction. Write down the titles and ask your public library to
          get them from interlibrary loan. Most libraries have Rookies, but they are
          scattered among the other books. Knowing the title and author makes the search
          easier.

        • ctbkaty@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
            Also,

            When I was first asked to write Rookies, I had them coming from all over town
            to my library. I read about 50 of them before attempting to write my own.
            Do plenty of homework before submitting. It will pay off in the long run.

          • JoAn Martin
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004

              --
              JoAn Martin
              2407 Kilgore Rd.
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                Thank you Carmen. What are the titles of the ones you have had published for
                the Rookies?
                Merle

              • ctbkaty@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Merle,

                  All of my Rookies are nonfiction. Eileen is looking for fiction, so you'll
                  have to track down some to read as examples.

                • Merle Petersen
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                    Thank you, Carmen. Your work is an inspiration.
                    Merle

                    > All of my Rookies are nonfiction. Eileen is looking for fiction, so you'll
                    > have to track down some to read as examples.
                    >
                    > Carmen

                  • Kelly Bennett
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 5, 2004
                      JoAn, to find the catalogue, look on the Children's Press/Franklin Watts
                      websites, too, check at the library, the librarian might be able to point
                      you right to some examples. Best of luck, Kelly

                      Kelly Goldman Bennett
                      22307 Stormcroft Lane
                      Katy, TX 77450-6700
                      phone: (281) 395-4620