Re: [scbwi-houston] Fiction Rookie Reader submissions being accepted.

  • Danny Witte
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hey Kelly,
      Okay, I know I am going to sound incredibly stupid, but every time I search for Rookie Readers on the Scholastic site, all I get are football books! Where should I be looking that I am not? This is excellent news, by the way, and thank you for sending it.

      I'm doing research on my next Magic Clothes book even though I haven't heard back from the publisher on the first one. No word from the woman running the SCBWI conference here on the 10th of July-I'm going to have to call her I guess if I want to know what the heck is going on! Stay cool, temperature-wise that is, you are already one cool lady! LOL
      Danny

      Kelly Bennett <kellyb@...> wrote:
      Folks, I just received the following note from Eileen Robinson at
      Scholastic. She is currently accepting submissions for fiction rookie reader
      books. Submissions are open again but only until July 12th. She is
      assigning the next few seasons of Rookies.

      A person's reach should exceed his/her grasp, or what's a Heaven for?

    • Kelly Bennett
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 30, 2004
        Danny, I can't help you with this one. You might want to check the listing
        for books for beginning readers--or K-1st grade and in the fiction category.
        Best of luck, Kelly

        Kelly Goldman Bennett
        22307 Stormcroft Lane
        Katy, TX 77450-6700
        phone: (281) 395-4620
        fax: (281) 395-9833
        kelly@...

        _____

        Kelly Bennett <kellyb@...> wrote:
        Folks, I just received the following note from Eileen Robinson at
        Scholastic. She is currently accepting submissions for fiction rookie reader
        books. Submissions are open again but only until July 12th. She is
        assigning the next few seasons of Rookies.

        A person's reach should exceed his/her grasp, or what's a Heaven for?

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129scv5u9/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
        oups/S=1707630052:HM/EXP=1088710024/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
        anion.yahoo.com> click here

        :HM/A=2128215/rand=521758628>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Merle Petersen
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
          Joe An,
          I had the same trouble and wrote to Eileen for the guidelines. She told me
          that she was revising them and to "just do the best you can." That isn't
          much help, and both libraries I went to didn't have any Rookie Readers.
          Hearing from a few other writers, they claim the same problem. I give up on
          this project...too vague!
          Merle
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
            JoAn and Merle,

            Type Rookie Readers into Amazon. Many of the books that come up are
            nonfiction, but some are fiction. Write down the titles and ask your public library to
            get them from interlibrary loan. Most libraries have Rookies, but they are
            scattered among the other books. Knowing the title and author makes the search
            easier.

          • ctbkaty@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
              Also,

              When I was first asked to write Rookies, I had them coming from all over town
              to my library. I read about 50 of them before attempting to write my own.
              Do plenty of homework before submitting. It will pay off in the long run.

            • JoAn Martin
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004

                --
                JoAn Martin
                2407 Kilgore Rd.
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Thank you Carmen. What are the titles of the ones you have had published for
                  the Rookies?
                  Merle

                • ctbkaty@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                    Merle,

                    All of my Rookies are nonfiction. Eileen is looking for fiction, so you'll
                    have to track down some to read as examples.

                  • Merle Petersen
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                      Thank you, Carmen. Your work is an inspiration.
                      Merle

                      > All of my Rookies are nonfiction. Eileen is looking for fiction, so you'll
                      > have to track down some to read as examples.
                      >
                      > Carmen

                    • Kelly Bennett
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 5, 2004
                        JoAn, to find the catalogue, look on the Children's Press/Franklin Watts
                        websites, too, check at the library, the librarian might be able to point
                        you right to some examples. Best of luck, Kelly

                        Kelly Goldman Bennett
                        22307 Stormcroft Lane
                        Katy, TX 77450-6700
                        phone: (281) 395-4620