Evelyn Meador Library Event, Sept. 26, Sunday 2-5

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010

      Hello all,

      We have a place and date! The Friends of the Library Coordinator for Evelyn Meador Library has reserved the Seabrook Community Center from 2-5 PM on Sunday, Sept. 26.

      Will someone who is attending the meeting tonight please make an announcement for me? Can this be officially approved as an SCBWI-Houston sponsored event? I’d really like to promote our chapter! Debbie Frontiera already said she’d be available on that date. So we have at least 2 of us.

      I’m willing to do a series of demonstrations and programs on my own, but I know I’m not much of a draw… so who all is interested in helping raise money for this new library? (This is one that was destroyed by Ike.) The general plan is to do a group book signing and a series of short programs, games, readings, whatever you all think will attract the book-buying public! The Friends will be selling paying stones, we will sell books and donate 20 percent of the proceeds to the library.

      Should we get another writers organization to cosponsor? I can ask local SFWA members, but there aren’t too many here in Houston. Still, that’s a place to start. This will help by appealing to the parents as well as the kids.

      I can get the local space groups to help. The National Space Society does book reviews, and I can get book marks to give out and give away some of the books I’ve reviewed as door prizes.

      Anyone here a member of the Bay Area Writers League? They would be the logical group to include, but I’m not sure how many published authors are among the members. (I was a member long ago.)

      Or do we want to make it ONLY SCBWI and no other groups?? I’m thinking the more groups we tap into, the more people will show up. If nothing else, we can buy each others’ books <g>.

      I have a pdf form that I can send anyone who wants to get a paving stone. They are $100 and $200 depending how many lines of text you want on them. Each line is 16 characters, including spaces. 2 lines are $100, 4 are $200. You can put your name and book title. Permanent advertising! Get one for each book?! The deadline is Oct. 1.

      Let me know if you CAN support this date. I will draft a press release once I know what programs you all want to do: mini-school visit pitches? Booths? Tables? I need help with format! We can do a lot in 3 hours! Maybe build a “library” of books?? (Have an outline of the new library on the floor?) Send me your ideas!

      Vicki, can we get support from the Houston Chronicle to advertise the event??

      Marianne Dyson

      Golden Kite and AIP Science Writing award winner;

      Former NASA flight controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Facebook/Twitter: Marianne Dyson

    • Pam Calvert
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010

        Hi, Marianne:

        Where is the Seabrook Community Center? I could sell my books and be there, doing a funny fifteen presentation for little ones, but I'd need to know where it is to see if it's feasible.

        Thanks!

        Pam

        Pam Calvert

        pam@...

        www.pamcalvert.com

        Follow Peepers on Facebook! Princess Peepers

        Meet me at my blog: Woven With Pixie Dust

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
          Marianne,

          Your enthusiasm is contagious! I will be happy to help. I can share my book Substitute Groundhog and have the kids make quick and easy pop-up groundhog puppets. I have 2 other fun books I could sell and autograph, and I would be happy to purchase a paving stone as well. Vicki wasn't at the meeting tonight, but I did tell the group about your first e-mail. I didn't see this one until just now, so please send me the .pdf order form.

          Pat

          --
          Pat Miller, LMS
          Author, Workshop Presenter, Career School Librarian