School visit requests?

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
      Hello writer friends,

      I have been lurking this summer and enjoying all the good news about new
      books, signings, and events. I can't believe how fast the summer slipped
      away. Like others on this list, I had great plans for getting a book done
      this summer that just never materialized. I was busy every day, but somehow
      only managed to finish one chapter, two articles (one for the newspaper and
      one for a magazine) and some book reviews and blogs. (And be on Great Day
      Houston!)

      Now that all the vacation traveling (including two trips to Canada) are
      done, and my son has moved out (to Taiwan!), and it is just me and my
      husband (and kitties) again, I am determined to put in what Jane Yolen calls
      BIC (butt in chair) time and finish some books! And hopefully, do some
      school visits to help me keep my audience clearly in mind.

      But I have not gotten any invites for this fall. L I thought I made a lot of
      good contacts at TLA. Usually, I start getting emails the second or third
      week of school. is it too soon yet? Now that schools start later (rather
      than the second week of August), maybe it just seems late to me? Have any of
      you gotten invites yet for this fall?

      Like teachers sprucing up their classrooms for the beginning of the year, I
      updated my Web site (and lowered my prices) in preparation. This is the
      international year of astronomy, and I thought (hoped) at least some
      teachers would be interested in my new interactive tour of the solar system
      talk. And with all the talk about science education, maybe some districts
      would be interested in science in-service for teachers. But hits to my site
      remain fairly constant-i.e. I'm not seeing any extra "back-to-school"
      traffic.

      I just joined LibraryThing.com. Will that help? Any of you participate on
      that site? Has it helped build name recognition?

      I have been spending maybe too much time on facebook lately, but I couldn't
      have written the article I turned in last week without it! I found several
      of the key interview subjects via their search function. So it is turning
      out to be a very useful research tool for me-something I hadn't expected
      when I joined in March. It is also fun, and if I ever have a book signing
      again, might even help sell a few books via the mailing list I can send
      notices to about events. (If I haven't already found you, and you want to be
      friends, please send me an invite!)

      The only request I've gotten so far for this fall is from the 99s, a group
      of women pilots, to help Girl Scouts get their aviation badges. (Any of you
      with Girl Scouts, let me know, and I can put you in touch with the 99s.)

      So is the economy keeping schools from inviting authors, have they just not
      gotten around to it yet, or is it just me? Thanks for sharing!

      Marianne Dyson

      Author of Space & Astronomy;

      Former NASA flight controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com <http://www.mdyson.com/>

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
        Marianne, my bookings are down this year too. I think it's the economy.

        ~d

        Dotti Enderle
        * * *
        GINGERBREAD MAN SUPERHERO! (Sept. 2009)
        Flour Power!

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
> [...]
          > have written the article I turned in last week without it! I found several
          > of the key interview subjects via their search function. So it is turning
          > out to be a very useful research tool for me-something I hadn't expected
          > when I joined in March. It is also fun, and if I ever have a book signing
          > again, might even help sell a few books via the mailing list I can send
          > notices to about events. (If I haven't already found you, and you want to be
          > friends, please send me an invite!)
          >
          > The only request I've gotten so far for this fall is from the 99s, a group
          > of women pilots, to help Girl Scouts get their aviation badges. (Any of you
          > with Girl Scouts, let me know, and I can put you in touch with the 99s.)
          >
          > So is the economy keeping schools from inviting authors, have they just not
          > gotten around to it yet, or is it just me? Thanks for sharing!

        • Dede Ducharme
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
            Hi, All.  School library budgets are definitely down, at least in CISD.  We took a big hit on book buying budgets. Librarians conduct fundraisers to raise the cash needed for author visits and income from those is down too.The districts provide a subscription to teachingbooks.net which helps introduce readers to the human sides of writers, but it's always better to have a visit.  Sorry I don't have better news.  Dede

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
              I book presenters no later than the May before the new school year.  Had I known some of the budget changes our district was making over the summer, I would have booked only 3 of 5. (1 is Mother Goose who I have to book each year for kinder kids).

              Not only are school districts cutting back on funds, they're cutting personnel in the library.
              The worst news I heard about libraries this summer, was Pearland ISD's decision to replace any departing elem. librarians with paraprofessionals, meaning clerical aides.  That just about broke my heart since I've spent the last 20 years working so hard to prove the necessity of having "library teachers" in the library.  To be a school librarian in the state of Texas, you have to have a teaching certificate and a Learning Resources certificate. My district, Tomball,  requires a Master's degree in library science.  Spring ISD considered doing the same thing, but for the moment have decided to keep their librarians at elem. They did take away all the library aides at that level.

              Librarians are the people who sing the praises of authors and illustrators AND help to sell books for these special presenters.  As taxpayers, you need to voice your opinions to the local school boards and to the state, that having certified librarians in elem. and secondary ed is a essential  to completing the academic staffing of any school..  Library aides work very hard, but they do not have the philosophy or training of an educated librarian.  You want bookings?  It starts with vested librarians and funds to support the libraries' programming and instruction.

              Please forgive me getting on my soapbox, but this situation is your livelihood as well as mine.

              Aileen Kirkham, Co-Chair of SCBWI Programs
              Author, Librarian, & Prof. Storyteller
              www.aileenkirkham.com

            • ctbkaty@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
                Did you hear about the Cushing School in Mass. that is getting rid of its
                20,000 book library to go all electronic? Gag.

              • Janet Fox
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
                  I'm actually in Sugarland at the moment, on my way to a school visit all day tomorrow. But it's the only one in 6 months. ?

                  Janet S. Fox
                  5602 Polo Road
                  College Station TX 77845
                  979-695-0098
                  http://www.janetsfox.com
                  my blog "Through The Wardrobe":
                  http://www.kidswriterjfox.blogspot.com

                  Author of "Faithful" (Puffin, 2010), a YA novel of romance and mystery set in the Gilded Age, and "Get Organized Without Losing It" (Free Spirit Publishing, 2006) for middle grades.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
                    Yeah, I read about that a couple of days ago. Crazy!

                    ~d

                    Dotti Enderle
                    * * *

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 8, 2009
                      Can you hear my screams in Katy?  Look at all the wonderful librarians in SCBWI--Mary, Aileen, Pat.  Do people really think electronic books will be a good as a librarian's magical one-on-one matching of kids with printed books? Dede

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 9, 2009
                        I don't........they have been saying printed books are on their way out for
                        the last 15 years.......the electronic formats will integrated themselves
                        into the system, but they will never replace the printed book.........and
                        as much as I love librarians I think the ones in Massachusetts aren't
                        nearly as visionary as the ones I know.........Rita