Re: [scbwi-houston] Texas Curriculum List

  • Sociosight@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 21, 2009
      Here's the link:

      www.tea.state.tx.us/teks/grade/Third_grade.pdf

      Debra Winegarten

      www.sociosights.com

      womenintexashistory.org

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Dotti Enderle <enderle4@...>
      To: scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: houstonspeakers@...
      Sent: Tue, Jul 21, 2009 9:06 pm
      Subject: [scbwi-houston] Texas Curriculum List

      Can someone tell me if where I can find the curriculum topics for the various grades (particularly grades K-3) for the state of Texas?

      ~d

      Dotti Enderle

      * * *

      MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)

      A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...

    • mjh
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 21, 2009
        Hi,

        Go to http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/teks/ and scroll down until you see
        Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills by Grade Level (Elementary). There are links to click for each grade level. The "TEKS" guide the teaching / curriculum in Texas public schools and the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) test is based on them. Hope this helps.
        mjh

        http://www.dottiend erle.com

      • joannie73@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 22, 2009
          Houston ISD has a matrix for each grade level that is a guide line for teachers. We call it the HISD Horizontal Alignment Planning Guides (HAPGs). I am not sure if non-district employees can access them. I did find a few links on the website (Houstonisd.org)where you can access pre-k and kinder curriculum standards by 12 weeks. I hope this helps.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 22, 2009
            Thanks for all the input, everyone! I appreciate it much.

            ~d

            Dotti Enderle
            * * *
            MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
            A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...

          • Lisa Frase
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 24, 2009
              Dottie - The state does not require specific curriculum units like "Gingerbread Baby." The state only provides the actual teaching objectives. Individual districts or schools might come up with curriculum units, but they often change. There are popular topics that are often taught in the lower grades, usually based on science or social studies curriculum. The state curriculum is changing this year, so therefore, the schools and districts will also change their curriculum topics and timelines. Some districts / school designated units and tight timelines, while others are rather loose and leave it up to the teacher. Teachers use literature all across the curriculum, so finding books on science, social studies, or math topics is always a priority. Books are also use to teach reading and writing skills and strategies. To get an idea of what I mean, take a look at my website. Go to the Teach page, and then search the Reading and Writing pages. I have lists
              of children's literature to use for teaching various skills. These are my most popular pages. I hope this info helps!

              Lisa Frase, NBCT-Literacy
              www.effectiveteachingsolutions.com