critique group / partner

  • sarah_goodner_realtor
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2009
      I am in desperate need of a critique group or partner. I write young adult fiction, and I'm in a bit of a time crunch with my current project. (My personal editor told me she doesn't have time to edit this book.)

      Any takers? I'm near downtown, but I'd be more than willing to work via email.

      Thanks,
      Sarah Goodner
    • marydwade@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2009
        Sarah,

        I was hoping someone would respond to your request. I'm way too far out to
        help, not that I'm in a critique group anyway.

        I'm sure you've looked on the local SCBWI website for those listed. If you
        don't see something there, contact Peggy Shallock,
        _pgshallock@..._ (mailto:pgshallock@...) . She may know of an individual in
        your area...or maybe you can hook up via email.

        Good luck. I can't get enough words on a page for a whole novel!

        Marydw

        In a message dated 5/31/2009 11:21:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
        sarah@... writes:

        I am in desperate need of a critique group or partner. I write young adult
        fiction, and I'm in a bit of a time crunch with my current project. (My
        personal editor told me she doesn't have time to edit this book.)

        Any takers? I'm near downtown, but I'd be more than willing to work via
        email.

        Thanks,
        Sarah Goodner

        cntnew00000007)

      • V Carter
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2009
          Hi Sarah,

          You mentioned that you are in a time crunch with this book, so I don't know
          if this will be helpful. I am in a critique group that meets every Thursday
          night at the Barnes and Noble on Westheimer at Voss. We each bring five
          pages to have critiqued. It is a fairly large group (8-15 people) and there
          are a variety of genres represented. There are two of us writing for middle
          grade and two young adult writers. The rest write in adult genres. Everyone
          in the group is a good writer, and most are good critiquers. Some are
          downright excellent. It is an open group so anyone may join us, but people
          who do not take criticism well rarely return after their first session.

          We meet from 7pm to 10pm and read as much as we can in that time. We keep a
          timer to be fair to everyone. Please join us if that works out for you.

          Vonna Carter

          On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM, <marydwade@...> wrote:

          > Sarah,
          >
          > I was hoping someone would respond to your request. I'm way too far out to
          > help, not that I'm in a critique group anyway.
          >
          > I'm sure you've looked on the local SCBWI website for those listed. If you
          > don't see something there, contact Peggy Shallock,
          > _pgshallock@... <_pgshallock%40earthlink.net>_ (mailto:
          > pgshallock@... <pgshallock%40earthlink.net>) . She may know of
          > an individual in
          > your area...or maybe you can hook up via email.
          >
          > Good luck. I can't get enough words on a page for a whole novel!
          >
          > Marydw
          >

          > In a message dated 5/31/2009 11:21:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
          > sarah@... <sarah%40sarahgoodner.com> writes:
          >
          > I am in desperate need of a critique group or partner. I write young adult
          > fiction, and I'm in a bit of a time crunch with my current project. (My
          > personal editor told me she doesn't have time to edit this book.)
          >
          > Any takers? I'm near downtown, but I'd be more than willing to work via
          > email.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Sarah Goodner
          >
          > **************We found the real �Hotel California� and the �Seinfeld�
          > diner. What will you find? Explore WhereItsAt.com.
          > (
          > http://www.whereitsat.com/#/music/all-spots/355/47.796964/-66.374711/2/Youve-Found-Where-Its-At?ncid=eml
          > cntnew00000007)

        • Bonnie Crow
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2009
            I sent you an email to your address...not on the list serve. Maybe it went to your spam. I was wondering how many pages you are talking about needing to be edited? Will you be at the meeting tomorrow? Bonnie C.

            You mentioned that you are in a time crunch with this book, so I don't know
            if this will be helpful. I am in a critique group that meets every Thursday
            night at the Barnes and Noble on Westheimer at Voss. We each bring five
            pages to have critiqued. It is a fairly large group (8-15 people) and there
            are a variety of genres represented. There are two of us writing for middle
            grade and two young adult writers. The rest write in adult genres. Everyone
            in the group is a good writer, and most are good critiquers. Some are
            downright excellent. It is an open group so anyone may join us, but people
            who do not take criticism well rarely return after their first session.

            We meet from 7pm to 10pm and read as much as we can in that time. We keep a
            timer to be fair to everyone. Please join us if that works out for you.

            Vonna Carter

            On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM, <marydwade@...> wrote:

            > Sarah,
            >
            > I was hoping someone would respond to your request. I'm way too far out to
            > help, not that I'm in a critique group anyway.
            >
            > I'm sure you've looked on the local SCBWI website for those listed. If you
            > don't see something there, contact Peggy Shallock,
            > _pgshallock@... <_pgshallock%40earthlink.net>_ (mailto:
            > pgshallock@... <pgshallock%40earthlink.net>) . She may know of
            > an individual in
            > your area...or maybe you can hook up via email.
            >
            > Good luck. I can't get enough words on a page for a whole novel!
            >
            > Marydw
            >

            > In a message dated 5/31/2009 11:21:43 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
            > sarah@... <sarah%40sarahgoodner.com> writes:
            >
            > I am in desperate need of a critique group or partner. I write young adult
            > fiction, and I'm in a bit of a time crunch with my current project. (My
            > personal editor told me she doesn't have time to edit this book.)
            >
            > Any takers? I'm near downtown, but I'd be more than willing to work via
            > email.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Sarah Goodner
            >
            > **************We found the real ‘Hotel California’ and the ‘Seinfeld’
            > diner. What will you find? Explore WhereItsAt.com.
            > (
            > http://www.whereitsat.com/#/music/all-spots/355/47.796964/-66.374711/2/Youve-Found-Where-Its-At?ncid=eml
            > cntnew00000007)

          • sarah_goodner_realtor
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2009
              Bonnie,

              I tried to respond to you directly, but it bounced back.

              I will be at the meeting tomorrow, and I will be bringing a section with me.

              The rough draft, once finished (within the next couple of weeks), will be between 200-250 pages. Right now, it's about 100.

              Before I send to an editor or critique group, I do a pretty heavy self-edit, so at the point I need help, it's already fairly clean.

              Thanks,
              Sarah Goodner

              --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, Bonnie Crow <bcckaty@...> wrote:

              > I sent you an email to your address...not on the list serve. Maybe it went to your spam. I was wondering how many pages you are talking about needing to be edited? Will you be at the meeting tomorrow? Bonnie C.

            • Bonnie Crow
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
                Hi Sarah,
                I could read the first 15 pages....that's about all I have time for right now. So bring me the first 15...  I'll give it a go if you would like. Then I can email you back my critique.