Re: [scbwi-houston] Re: December meeting

  • Wayne Edwards
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
      Vicki,
      You wrote:

      > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to sell
      > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect holiday
      > gift, books!

      I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My children's books happen to be self published, one is an award winning book.
      Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a published author or only published books will be allowed to be displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already been successful in getting their work published.
      It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way). Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will have to leave here.
      Wayne

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
        Wayne, she's just reminding people to bring their books to sell. It doesn't matter if they're self-published or not.

        Dotti

        Dotti Enderle
        * * *
        MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
        "A worthwhile read with a satisfying conclusion that will be long remembered." --School Library Journal

        > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to sell
        > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect holiday
        > gift, books!

        I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My children's books happen to be self published, one is an award winning book.
        Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a published author or only published books will be allowed to be displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already been successful in getting their work published.
        It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way). Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will have to leave here.
        Wayne

      • JoAn Watson Martin
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
          Wayne,
          I have four published books that I am taking tonight. Two were self
          published, but the others are "royalty" published. After dealing with
          difficult editors, I am beginning to prefer having control of my own
          work, if only I'd win the lottery.I have been totally included by
          SCBWI as a published author. Please come and bring your books.
          Whatever route we are compelled to take to publication is great. See
          you there.

          JoAn

          On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Wayne Edwards wrote:

          > Vicki,
          > You wrote:
          >
          > > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to
          > sell
          > > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect
          > holiday
          > > gift, books!
          >
          > I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children
          > and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My
          > children's books happen to be self published, one is an award
          > winning book.
          > Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a
          > published author or only published books will be allowed to be
          > displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to
          > write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already
          > been successful in getting their work published.
          > It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way).
          > Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will
          > have to leave here.
          > Wayne

        • Wayne Edwards
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
            Thanks,
            It was a little misleading.
            I'll load my Garmin.
            Wayne

            I have four published books that I am taking tonight. Two were self
            published, but the others are "royalty" published. After dealing with
            difficult editors, I am beginning to prefer having control of my own
            work, if only I'd win the lottery.I have been totally included by
            SCBWI as a published author. Please come and bring your books.
            Whatever route we are compelled to take to publication is great. See
            you there.

            JoAn

            On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Wayne Edwards wrote:

            > Vicki,
            > You wrote:
            >
            > > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to
            > sell
            > > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect
            > holiday
            > > gift, books!
            >
            > I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children
            > and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My
            > children's books happen to be self published, one is an award
            > winning book.
            > Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a
            > published author or only published books will be allowed to be
            > displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to
            > write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already
            > been successful in getting their work published.
            > It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way).
            > Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will
            > have to leave here.
            > Wayne

          • Vicki Sansum
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
              Hi all,

              Just a reminder that Monday's meeting is our annual holiday celebration.
              All authors and illustrators may bring their books to sell. It's a great
              time to buy books for gifts and have them signed. Also, it's our one
              time of the year that we bring food to the meeting. So if you'd like to
              bring something sweet, salty, crunchy (or even healthy) to share with
              everyone, we'll supply the drinks.
              Pat and Aileen have some great games planned and there will be prizes.
              So come to have fun and celebrate a great year!

              Oh, and Pat has sent a message to everyone who is on our Evite list.
              Please respond to Pat if you'd like to remain on this list. You don't
              want to miss announcements for 2010, we already have a great line-up of
              speakers (thank you Aileen and Pat).

              And if you belong to any other writer's groups, blogs, sites, etc.
              please feel free to pass on the news about our February conference.
              We're sold out for manuscript critiques, but don't forget, anyone who
              attends the conference may submit one manuscript to each editor after
              the conference. So even if you don't have a critique you still have an
              opportunity to get your work in front of the editors at a later time.

              See you all Monday!
              Vicki
            • Vicki Sansum
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                Hi all,
                Not only will there be food and fun at the December meeting, we'll have
                book sales by our local authors and illustrators. It's a perfect time to
                buy an autographed book just in time for holiday gifts. Also, we'll have
                another drawing for four $100 scholarships. These scholarships can be
                used for any SCBWI event, you must be a SCBWI member to put your name
                into the hat at the meeting.
                Thanks!
                Vicki
                vsansum@...
              • Pat Miller
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                  Yikes! I mentioned all this, plus the conference, in yesterday's e-vite. Did you not get one?

                  --
                  Pat Miller
                  Author Visits, Storytelling, Professional Workshops

                • PamLV@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                    Yes, I got it.  Its next Monday, right?
                    Pam

                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                      Yes. Did the e-vite fail to come through yesterday? I'm still having some tech issues.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011

                        I got the evite.

                        ~d

                        Dotti Enderle

                        * * *

                        CROSSWIRE (Boyds Mills/Calkins Creek)

                        * Texas Institute of Letters Young Adult Award Recipient

                        * June Franklin Naylor Award for Best Children’s Book on Texas History

                        * WWA Spur Award Finalist

                           www.dottienderle.com

[...]

                        No virus found in this message.

                      • Bridgette Mongeon
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 29, 2011
                          I didn't get evite, and I'm through with school. Time to celebrate getting that MFA!

                          What is on the agenda? I'll bring invites to the upside down party at our place, for those who are interested.
                          Bridgette