RE: [scbwi-houston] Checking in

  • rebecca nolen
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 17, 2008
      We now live in the Museum district as of two weeks ago (what a time to move, eh?) But we did get power back on Sunday night. One of the very few to have it, now. We don't have email, cable and phone so am in Katy, at my husband's office, emailing you. Thank you for asking. It's good to hear from you all.

      Kimberly Morris does not have power but does have water and phone. She and her family are going to have to go to a hotel for a few days until they have power as the dark is both confusing and a hazard to her aunt, who can't figure out "why the lights are broken."

      Please keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.

      Thanks for being out there.
      Rebecca NolenMy spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.(Winnie-the-Pooh)

      To: scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.comFrom: mjdyson@...: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:13:29 +0000Subject: [scbwi-houston] Checking in

      I'm wondering how all of you are doing post-Ike? We evacuated to Austin (we were in one of the evacuated zip codes). Our neighbors in Meadowgreen reported no flooding in our area, but a lot of trees are down. There is no power currently at our house. But we are safe and anxious to get home and help with the cleanup. We heard that JSC came through in good shape. Building 30 had a roof leak and one hangar at Ellington is gone (the Guppy hangar). No impact to the space station operations.I found some local videos on ireport.com that showed Clear Lake Intermediate is intact, but trees are down. The traffic lights were working on that corner (El Camino and El Dorado), so we are hopeful power will be restored to our area soon. Seabrook suffered a major disaster, and I'm very concerned for friends there.Hoping you all are okay. If there is some organized help to our members and/or the impacted schools and libraries via SCBWI, please do let me know how I can contribute.Marianne

    • rebecca nolen
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 17, 2008
        A note to Marty G.
        I am always amazing at the timing of things, too. Our house sold and we moved to the Museum district in a very short period of time. Hope to see you soon. Don't come back until there's power. Too difficult.
        Rebecca NolenMy spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.(Winnie-the-Pooh)

        To: scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.comFrom: martygra1@...: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:44:04 -0700Subject: Re: [scbwi-houston] Checking in

        Hi Kathy and all,We are in Slidell. So what else is new? I am wondering when we can return to our apartment near downtown. I heard we did not have power there though. I'll be checking my email when I can get service. Thinking of you all and trust everyone is safe.Marty ps. We actually got an offer on our house here today, in between hurricanes. I'll never understand it.----- Original Message ----From: "kathy@..." <kathy@...>To: scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.comSent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 7:36:32 PMSubject: Re: [scbwi-houston] Checking inMarianne, I live by the medical center in Houston and might be one of the only few people who can email you. Only the medical center and downtown have power - that's in the whole region. Things here in Houston are in general a mess. Even Reliant Stadium lost part of it's roof, and many downtown buildings had lots of windows blown out. My husband and I are fine, however, with only minor damage to our home. Wish I could give you more information about your area. KathyMarianne Dyson <mjdyson@swbell. net> wrote: I'm wondering how all of you are doing post-Ike? We evacuated to Austin (we were in one of the evacuated zip codes). Our neighbors in Meadowgreen reported no flooding in our area, but a lot of trees are down. There is no power currently at our house. But we are safe and anxious to get home and help with the cleanup. We heard that JSC came through in good shape. Building 30 had a roof leak and one hangar at Ellington is gone (the Guppy hangar). No impact to the space station operations.I found some local videos on ireport.com that showed Clear Lake Intermediate is intact, but trees are down. The traffic lights were working on that corner (El Camino and El Dorado), so we are hopeful power will be restored to our area soon. Seabrook suffered a major disaster, and I'm very concerned for friends there.Hoping you all are okay. If there is some organized help to our members and/or the impacted schools and libraries via SCBWI, please do let me know how I can contribute.Marianne [Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

      • Brian Williams
        Message 3 of 21 , Sep 17, 2008
          All is well here. Only some very large tree branches snapped and waist deep debris pile outside the front of the house.
          Cleaning the pool was much more difficult than the yard. Can you say REALLY cold water? I can.

          We finally received power last night and internet was restored today. And boy howdy do I have a lot emails to sort through.

          Brian
          ________________________________
          > To: scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com
          > From: author@...
          > Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:48:03 -0500
          > Subject: RE: [SPAM]Re: [scbwi-houston] Checking in
          >

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I live in Katy and we got power back last night. We did not sustain any
          > damage to our house and we're counting our blessings. This was my first
          > major hurricane and I have to confess it was pretty scary. I guess every
          > once in a while Nature has to show us who's boss.
          >
          > Varsha
          >
          > .
          >
          > Image removed by sender.

        • Tayyba K
          Message 4 of 21 , Sep 18, 2008
            We're by the Med center too - house is mostly okay - lost a tree and some
            water seeped into the living room from the balcony. Got power back on
            Tuesday. Just so so so thankful that we are all fine. There was no rhyme or
            reason to what the hurricane chose to damage and what it left alone. So I
            can't help but be extremely grateful for our good luck. (And for Whole Foods
            on Kirby with ice and perishables!)
            Tayyba

            On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Brian Williams <willbc_777@...> wrote:

            > All is well here. Only some very large tree branches snapped and waist deep
            > debris pile outside the front of the house.
            > Cleaning the pool was much more difficult than the yard. Can you say REALLY
            > cold water? I can.
            >
            > We finally received power last night and internet was restored today. And
            > boy howdy do I have a lot emails to sort through.
            >
            > Brian
            > ________________________________
            >
            > > To: scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com <scbwi-houston%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > From: author@... <author%40varshabajaj.com>
            > > Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 09:48:03 -0500
            > > Subject: RE: [SPAM]Re: [scbwi-houston] Checking in
            > >

            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > I live in Katy and we got power back last night. We did not sustain any
            > > damage to our house and we're counting our blessings. This was my first
            > > major hurricane and I have to confess it was pretty scary. I guess every
            > > once in a while Nature has to show us who's boss.
            > >
            > > Varsha
            > >
            > > .
            > >
            > > Image removed by sender.

            @@@ Please Note @@@