RE: [scbwi-houston] LA Conference

  • Susan Mitchell
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
      Yay Brian!!!! It's a party now! LOL!

      Brian Williams <willbc_777@...> wrote:
      I'm going.

      Brian
      ________________________________
      > To: houstonspeakers@...; scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com
      > From: amsrodriguez@...
      > Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 14:34:14 -0500
      > Subject: [scbwi-houston] LA Conference
      >

      > Besides Mary W, who else is planning to go to the summer conference? Just to
      > know which familiar faces to look for. I am going to LA to the conference
      > and visit family.
      >
      > Ana M
      >
      > Ana Maria Rodriguez,
      >
      > www.anamariarodriguez.com
      >
      > _____
      >
      > From: houstonspeakers@...

    • Ana Maria Rodriguez
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
        Dear colleagues:

        I just learned about this good news by pure luck (not through the
        publisher.)

        My 2007 book "A Day in the Life of the Brain" (Chelsea House) is in the Best
        Books List 2007 by Science Books & Films! It received "Highly Recommended"
        reviews! You can see the book in my website. Later today it will show that
        it received this recognition.

        I am glad that it's following on its younger book brother's steps. "Edward
        Jenner Conqueror of Smallpox" (Enslow 2006), is in the Best Books List of
        2006.

        Reviewers are scientists, science teachers, librarians and media people who
        read about 600 books (only children's and YA NF) and select about 50 for the
        List. The List is published in the January issue of SB&F every year (they
        are sending me a copy of 2008's issue this week) and the magazine is for
        librarians, teachers and all others interested in knowing about good NF for
        kids.

        I am sooooooo happy!

        Ana Maria

        Visit my website at: <http://www.anamariarodriguez.com>
        www.anamariarodriguez.com

      • kathygw@suddenlink.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
          That's outstanding!
          Congratulations,
          Kathy Whitehead

        • ctbkaty@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
            Very nice Ana Maria.

          • Merle Petersen
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
              WOW! Another star in your crown, Ana Maria. Great!
              Merle

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                AHHHHHHHSOME! News.

                What a brainilicious honor :)

                Always a writer,
                Aileen Kirkham

              • gailgreenberg@sbcglobal.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Ana Maria,

                  Wow! That's fantastic news for your brain too!

                  Congrats again!!!!!

                  Gail Greenberg

                • kathy@kathyduval.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                    Great news! Congratulations. Kathy

[...]

                    www.kathyduval.com

                    The Three Bears' Christmas (Holiday House, 2005)
                    The Three Bears' Halloween (Holiday House, 2007)

                  • Mary Ann & Bill Hellinghausen
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                      Excellent news, Ana Maria! You should be proud. We hope you'll share some of
                      your expertise at our Barnes & Noble critique group one night - we give
                      really good pats on the back!!

                      Mary Ann

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                        Woo hoo! Congratulations!

                        Dotti Enderle
                        MAN IN THE MOON
                        Delacorte Press, July 2008

                      • mildred martin
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                          Congrats on the well-deserved recognition.

                          Millie

                        • morris7625@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                            Yay! Ana Maria! Congratulations! - kim

                          • millie martin
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 25, 2010
                              Hi, McCourt.

                              I've been to one LA conference, and it was a fantastic experience. However, I'd agree with Samantha that local conferences offer a lot of bang for the buck. These conferences offer fantastic opportunites to hone craft and hear editors and agents.

                              In addition to our fantastic Houston chapter, we are fortunate to have in Texas the Austin, Brazos Valley, NC/NE Texas and SW texas SCBWI chapters as well.