Re: Free money and registering

  • Vicki Sansum
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
      Hi all,
      Register soon for the September 6 picture book workshop with Kathi
      Appelt. We are already 20% full. The form can be downloaded from our
      website. There is an early bird discount for SCBWI members, only $40
      until July 8. So hurry!

      Here's where the free money comes in. We have scholarship money to give
      out this year from our Marj Gurasich Fund. We are spreading the money
      out over four months. Last night we gave out four $100 scholarships to
      any SCBWI event. For July, August and September we will give away more.
      In July two more, August two more and in September four more. Any SCBWI
      member is eligible, if you haven't won within a year.

      We had a great meeting. Carmen Bredesen took the fear out of writing
      non-fiction and Sherry Garland showed us how non-fiction can be
      seamlessly weaved in with fiction.

      Remember, register early for the September workshop. Space is limited!

      Write on!
      Vicki
    • ReadGarland@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
        In a message dated 6/3/2008 9:03:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
        vsansum@... writes:

        Last night we gave out four $100 scholarships to
        any SCBWI event. For July, August and September we will give away more.
        In July two more, August two more and in September four more. Any SCBWI
        member is eligible, if you haven't won within a year.

        Vicki--

        Do you have to be present at the meeting to win one of the scholarships?

        Sherry

        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

      • Aileen Kirkham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
          Kudos to
          Vicki - Advisor Extraordinaire
          Sydney - Writing Exercise (pounds of future writing ideas)
          Carmen - truth to tell in nonfiction
          Sherry - historical perspectives

          So sorry I missed such an amazing venue equivalent to American Idols of Writers :)

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2008
            Hello all!

            I am submitting an unsolicited piece to a children's literary magazine.
            I wanted to get insight on the direction I should take with the cover
            letter. Overall, is short and sweet the way to go (i.e. one sentence
            synopsis of piece and a thank you for reviewing) or should it be more
            in-depth like a cover letter for a picture book manuscript.

            Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

            Best,
            Laura Ruthven