New Member

  • Dotti
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2003
      I believe we had a new member sign on Monday night. I've emailed Ron about
      sending an evite. Hopefully this list will be hopping soon. In the meantime
      here's a post from Sharyn November, and editor at Viking. I got this from
      one of my email lists.

      As a lot of you know, I've been working with teens in person and online for
      over seven years now -- not as a Focus Group, but as a wide range of readers
      whose opinions interest me. In fact, their love of fantasy and sf was the
      impetus for Firebird (www.firebirdbooks.com), my sff imprint. Right now I
      have over 100 teenagers all around the world who read for me (and IM me, and
      send me email, and ask for college recommendations, and serve as summer
      interns, and so on, and so on ... ). Over the years I have also polled
      literally thousands of teenagers about their reading habits, too
      (www.sharyn.org/survey.html). They are the most exacting readers around.

      So far as I know, no one else I know does this.

      I can talk more about it if anyone's interested. (I have lots of opinions
      about "edgy YA," of course ... ) sdn

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      sharyn november
      sharyn@...
      www.sharyn.org

      Dotti Enderle
      Fortune Tellers Club (Llewellyn Worldwide)
      1. The Lost Girl
      2. Playing With Fire
      3. The Magic Shades (Sept. 2003)
      4. Secrets Of Lost Arrow (Jan. 2004)
    • Neil Gillbanks
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2003
        Dotti

        After your talk on Monday night, I am surprised only one member signed up.
        I guess I am the only one.

        I also got back on the CW list. I joined a little over a year ago but it
        was too much traffic back then.

        Neil

        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2003
          Neil,

          I'm surprised too. I don't think our group is very tech savvy...more
          hands-on if that makes sense. I can't live without email!

          Dotti

          www.fortunetellersclub.com

          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2011
            Hi Sharon..........the internet is a blessing and a curse at the same time..........because the publishing industry is ego driven there are many scams and half truths out there that are lining some people's pockets when it comes to books of all genre...........

            I have 6 handouts that I would be glad to email you or anyone else in this group who might be interested in them...........they are about the basics of the publishing on the business side vs. the writing and creation of books...........just let me know............Rita

            My question to the group is, what do I do next? How do I proceed and
            make my dream a reality? I've been researching a lot online (Thank God
            for the web), but it's a lot to take in and get acclimated with. I hope
            some of you can shed some light on this subject and help me out, in any
            way possible.               ~~Sharon Griffin

            PS -- I also do a series of workshops about the business end of publishing and have one scheduled for July 9th if anyone is interested...........you can find out more at the link in the sig below..........

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Rita Mills
            713-937-9184

          • millie martin
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2011
              Hi, Sharon.

              Mary Wade provided excellent information and  advice on polishing your manuscript. That is always the first order of business.

              A critique group, the chapter's monthly meetings, and conferences will help you become part of the supportive community of writers in the Houston area. The picture book workshop in October should be of particular interest since that is your focus.

              As Mary said, marketing your work is still another process. A national membership to SCBWI  provides a list of possible markets. The Children's Writer, a monthly newsletter, contact www.ChildrensWriter.com, provides articles on writing and publisher information. The Children's Writer's & Illustrators Market is available at most libraries, or available for purchase wherever books are sold. It lists information on potential magazine and book markets.

              Best wishes,
              Millie
            • Sharon
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2011
                Hi Rita,
                Yes! I would love your handouts and any possible advice for someone new to the game. My email address is: sharonvgriffin@... . I will be viewing your link about the workshop occuring in July.

                Thanks,

                Sharon

                --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, "Rita Mills" <rita.mills@...> wrote:

                > Hi Sharon..........the internet is a blessing and
                > a curse at the same time..........because the
                > publishing industry is ego driven there are many
                > scams and half truths out there that are lining
                > some people's pockets when it comes to books of
                > all genre...........
                >
                > I have 6 handouts that I would be glad to email
                > you or anyone else in this group who might be
                > interested in them...........they are about the
                > basics of the publishing on the business side vs.
                > the writing and creation of books...........just
                > let me know............Rita

                > revising my children's picture book.
                > My question to the group is, what do I do next?
                > How do I proceed and
                > make my dream a reality? I've been researching a
                > lot online (Thank God
                > for the web), but it's a lot to take in and get
                > acclimated with. I hope
                > some of you can shed some light on this subject
                > and help me out, in any
                > way possible. ~~Sharon Griffin
                >

                > PS -- I also do a series of workshops about the
                > business end of publishing and have one scheduled
                > for July 9th if anyone is interested...........you
                > can find out more at the link in the sig
                > below..........
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > Rita Mills
                > 713-937-9184
                > rita.mills@...
                > http://www.BookConnectionOnline.com

              • Sharon
                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2011
                  Hi Millie,
                  Thanks for the link. I will definitely be checking it out!

                  Thanks,

                  Sharon