Fw: Hummus

  • Tayyba Kanwal
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 10, 2007
      Hi Gail and Southern Breezers,
      I heard that a lot of people really liked the hummus I brought to the December meeting, and several of you were curious about the recipe. So here it is:

      Basic Hummus:
      2 cans garbanzo beans, drained, half of liquid reserved from one can.
      2 or 3 garlic cloves
      1/3 cup tahini, well stirred (sesame seed paste available at mediterranean or Israeli section of most grocery stores)
      1/3 cup olive oil
      2 Tbs. lemon or lime juice
      salt to taste (I would use about one and half teaspoons)

      Put all the ingredients except the garbanzo liquid and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until well chopped. Then turn on the food processor. Pour in the garbanzo liquid and process until blended. Then slowly pour in the olive oil in a stream and keep processing until silky smooth.

      Variation: Parsley Olive Hummus:
      Add the leaves from 1/3 bunch of flat leaf parsley with the initial ingredients. At the very end, after the hummus is smooth, add in 1/3 cup pitted olives (any type you like) and pulse until they are chopped and partially blended into the hummus.

      Variation: Baba Ghanouj:
      This is an incredible variation that I like even better than the other two. Wash two large eggplants, dry them, and poke them all over with a fork. Broil them on the upper rack of your oven under a high broiler until charred on all sides. (You will need a tray on the lower rack to catch dripping juices.) When well charred, cool them and peel off the skin. Roughly chop up the grilled eggplant meat and use it in the basic hummus recipe instead of the garbanzo beans and reserved liquid. Mmmmmmmm......

      Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier Gail. I was working super-hard on something and have some good news to share - I just sold a movie script! Anyway, that's out of the way, and I am feeling like I'm on vacation. I can't keep my eyes open - I'm sleeping like a baby. :)

      Enjoy the hummus everybody!

      Tayyba

      I ate all the rest of your hummus when I got home. Then I felt terrible that I didn't offer some to my friend, Jan, who was standing with us and who loved your hummus, too. I know the rest of the group would like the recipe as much as I would. I know my family will love it, not to mention me, myself, and I.
      See you at the next meeting, I hope. Are you going to the February conference? I printed out the entry form, but not sure I can come now.
      Gail

    • Aileen Kirkham
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 10, 2007
        Tayyba, CONGRATS on selling the movie script. That's
        ahhhhhhhsome :)

        Aileen Kirkham

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • mildred martin
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 10, 2007
          Congrats Tayyba on the sale of the movie script.

          I enjoyed reading the recipe for the hummus. I always let Costco prepare mine.
          Perhaps, I'll get energetic and try your variation with eggplant.

          Millie

          --- Tayyba Kanwal <tayyba@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gail and Southern Breezers,
          > I heard that a lot of people really liked the hummus
          > I brought to the December meeting, and several of
          > you were curious about the recipe. So here it is:
          >
          > Basic Hummus:
          > 2 cans garbanzo beans, drained, half of liquid
          > reserved from one can.
          > 2 or 3 garlic cloves
          > 1/3 cup tahini, well stirred (sesame seed paste
          > available at mediterranean or Israeli section of
          > most grocery stores)
          > 1/3 cup olive oil
          > 2 Tbs. lemon or lime juice
          > salt to taste (I would use about one and half
          > teaspoons)
          >
          > Put all the ingredients except the garbanzo liquid
          > and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until
          > well chopped. Then turn on the food processor. Pour
          > in the garbanzo liquid and process until blended.
          > Then slowly pour in the olive oil in a stream and
          > keep processing until silky smooth.
          >
          > Variation: Parsley Olive Hummus:
          > Add the leaves from 1/3 bunch of flat leaf parsley
          > with the initial ingredients. At the very end, after
          > the hummus is smooth, add in 1/3 cup pitted olives
          > (any type you like) and pulse until they are chopped
          > and partially blended into the hummus.
          >
          > Variation: Baba Ghanouj:
          > This is an incredible variation that I like even
          > better than the other two. Wash two large eggplants,
          > dry them, and poke them all over with a fork. Broil
          > them on the upper rack of your oven under a high
          > broiler until charred on all sides. (You will need a
          > tray on the lower rack to catch dripping juices.)
          > When well charred, cool them and peel off the skin.
          > Roughly chop up the grilled eggplant meat and use it
          > in the basic hummus recipe instead of the garbanzo
          > beans and reserved liquid. Mmmmmmmm......
          >
          > Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry for not
          > getting back to you earlier Gail. I was working
          > super-hard on something and have some good news to
          > share - I just sold a movie script! Anyway, that's
          > out of the way, and I am feeling like I'm on
          > vacation. I can't keep my eyes open - I'm sleeping
          > like a baby. :)
          >
          > Enjoy the hummus everybody!
          >
          > Tayyba

        • Varsha Bajaj
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
            Congratulations Tayyba,

            That is quite an accomplishment! When you wake up from your well deserved
            sleep, tell us the details of your movie script sale!

            Varsha

          • Ana Maria Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
              Many congrats, Tayyba for the movie script! What is it about?

              And thanks for the Hummus recipe. I thought hummus was some kind of edible
              fungus..I've seen it in Greek restaurants.

              Ana Maria

              _____

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
                Varsha and everybody - thank you!

                The movie is a total chic flick independent movie being produced in Canada - a love story about Pakistani immigrants in Canada. The producers and I had a common friend in Pakistan's creative motion picture circles, and it all kind of came together. A chic flick isn't exactly something I would have come up with it (although I watch my fair share of them), but they had a vision, and I had skills, and hey, why not sell a movie script! :)

                I'll let you guys know when it comes out. They're actually shooting it in December and plan to release it internationally.

                What I really want to do is use this as a spring board for creating scripts for kid's movies in the U.S. I'm pretty excited about this new, unexpected twist in my children's writing career.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
                  Well, Congratulations again. The movie could become the next Bend it Like
                  Beckham and you could be the next Gurinder Chhadha. You never knowJ

                  Varsha

                • gailgreenberg@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
                    Tayyba,

                    Congrats big time on the movie script! That's fantastic. I can't wait to see the movie. It sounds great!

                    Thanks for the recipe too.

                    Gail Greenberg

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
                      This is very exciting, Tayyba! Congrats again and wish you many more sales
                      in the future!

                      Ana Maria Rodriguez