Re: [scbwi-houston] Guidance on lap top computers for writers

  • marydwade@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2007
      Claudette,

      Our speaker last night talked about how much she loved her Mac, but I live
      with a husband who uses only PCs, so that is what we have. We have Windows XP
      on desktops and laptops. He keeps some graphic packages on his computer but
      that's not important to me. If you like to do graphics, then a Mac is much
      better. I know illustrators usually won't touch a PC.

      Far more important to me as an author is the word processing package. The
      best program in my opinion is Word Perfect. It is a dream to use. However, the
      world of Bill Gates being what it is, Microsoft has gobbled the market to the
      extent that some publishers require Word documents. I can convert from Word
      Perfect, but if the manuscripts are short, I go ahead and use Word. However, I
      defy anyone to get instruction codes out of a document once you have put it
      in. I hate the way they think they know what I'm going to type -- I spend an
      inordinate amount of time backing out capitals and indentions I do not want.
      In Word Perfect, it is simply a matter of turning on Reveal Codes and
      backing out a command.

      that's my rant for today.

      Good luck. I hope someone else chimes in with better information for you

      Mary Wade

    • rebecca nolen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
        Hello all,

        You asked a question that I would love to contribute to.

        I like what you said Mary, but while it is true the "old school"
        illustrators loved only their MACs the latest illustration programs work for
        both MAC and the PC. So the bottom line with choosing a computer is a matter
        of personal opinion for illustrators as well. I've worked on both MACs and
        PCs. I have a PC because I'm cheap and love repurchasing a new computer ever
        so often. And there is a way to turn on the reveal codes with Word, but I
        won't go into that here. I've heard about Word Perfect and other word
        processing programs. Unfortunately, Word has become so universal it is hard
        to get around it.

        In answer to what kind of laptop to get, Claudette, there are so many
        options. Dell and Toshiba used to be the most affordable BEST but now I hear
        that HP is a strong contender. So there you have it.

        In my opinion - it is NOT a good time to switch to VISTA. (The new operation
        system that replaced Windows XP.) There are too many negatives. Namely, when
        you try to add your old programs to your new computer with VISTA - they are
        incompatible. So if I were you, I'd go online and purchase my new laptop
        with the company, Dell, HP, or Toshiba and insist on Windows XP. You can't
        purchase a computer in the store that doesn't have VISTA, you have to
        purchase online and usually through the "business" instead of "personal"
        computer dept.

        You have to be suspicious of anything that is a "free upgrade" as VISTA has
        become. I'm all for "free" but I realize that in this instance the "free"
        comes with a huge price - incompatability, a slow response time, a computer
        that argues with itself. You just don't need that kind of aggravation while
        you are writing.

        That's my three cents for all its worth. That and $3.95 will get you a large
        caramel machiato.

        Rebecca Nolen

        My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters
        get in the wrong places.(Winnie-the-Pooh)

[...]

        Live Hotmail.
      • Deborah Frontiera
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2007
          And my two cents:
          I always loved my Mac, but began to find that of the various publications that allowed e-mail submissions, and the number was growing, most wanted PC Word attachments. So I bit the bullet and went that route. Last year, my husband bought me a Toshiba lap top that I absolutely LOVE and it has re-writable CD's too, so I back up and re-back up all on the same CD and carry it anywhere. I really like it.
          Debbie Frontiera