RE: [scbwi-houston] Editor Day

  • Lindsay, Sheila O
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 13 7:44 AM
      Mary,

      Just wanted to make sure you received my registration. Should I have
      received something back?

      Sheila

      Sheila O Lindsay, Secretary

      University of Houston

      Graduate College of Social Work

      Office for Drug & Social Policy Reseach

      Ph: 713-743-8098 Fax: 713-743-3985

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 22, 2009
        I'm still waiting to hear from Golden Books and Simon & Schuster about my Editor Day submissions.

        Is anyone else still waiting on these two editors?

        Doris
      • Varsha Bajaj
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 23, 2009
          I didn't submit to Golden Books but have not heard back from S&S. Has
          anyone?

          Varsha

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 24, 2009
            It took a little over 3 months for my Golden Book rejection. So, I guess it would depend on when you submitted... I only recently submitted to S&S.

            Has anyone heard from Egmont?

            Monica

            --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, "abcdoris2003" <abcdoris@...> wrote:

            > I'm still waiting to hear from Golden Books and Simon & Schuster about my Editor Day submissions.
            >
            > Is anyone else still waiting on these two editors?
            >
            > Doris

          • abcdoris2003
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 24, 2009
              Thanks for the info. I submitted to Golden Books and S & S on March 1 and am still waiting for replies from both.

              Doris
            • marydwade@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                Carmen,

                I have heard from Diane Muldrow and Amy Lennex, and got the funniest
                rejection from Allyn Johnston. She said something to the effect that she so
                wanted to love the characters enough to feel they would be successful in today's
                market, but... and ended with DAMN! [caps and exclamation point hers] I
                laughed out loud at this rejection.

                Nothing from E. Law, the only person who has ever been to 3 conferences in
                Houston. But that's a whole other story. Makes me almost wish I had Allyn's
                vocabulary.

                Marydw
                **************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
                score. See now!
                (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323048x1201367271/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI
                D=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                  By the way, my agent submitted my YA to Elizabeth not long after Editor's Day, and Elizabeth passed it over to another editor to read. I'm guessing she did the same with all the ED subs.

                  ~d

                  Dotti Enderle
                  * * *
                  MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
                  A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...

                • ctbkaty@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                    There seems to be a trend here. Nobody has heard from either Elizabeth Law
                    or Alexandra Penfold so far. Do you suppose they got the axe?

                    steps!
                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                    =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                      Not Elizabeth. She's still updating her status on facebook every fifteen minutes. If she were moving we'd know.

                      ~d

                      Dotti Enderle
                      * * *

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                        When I submitted to Elizabeth last time she was here, I heard from her over a year later.

                        Kathy

                        ww.kathyduval.com
                        http://whatsbrewingatkathysplace.blogspot.com/

                        I Think I See A UFO (Disney Hyperion, Summer 2011)
                        The Three Bears' Halloween (Holiday House, 2007)
                        The Three Bears' Christmas (Holiday House, 2005)

                        There seems to be a trend here. Nobody has heard from either Elizabeth Law
                        or Alexandra Penfold so far. Do you suppose they got the axe?

                        Carmen

                        ************ **A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy

                      • ReadGarland@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                          In a message dated 7/26/2009 5:51:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                          kathy@... writes:

                          When I submitted to Elizabeth last time she was here, I heard from her
                          over a year later.

                          I've heard other people say the same thing. That's why I have no qualms
                          about sending my manuscript to someone else.

                          Sherry

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                            Maybe that's why she doesn't have time to read manuscripts.

                            Carmen

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                              Carmen,

                              Can you or Mary check in with Elizabeth law and Penfold?

                              Varsha

                              enderle4@... <mailto:enderle4%40earthlink.net> writes:

                              Not Elizabeth. She's still updating her status on facebook every fifteen
                              minutes. If she were moving we'd know.

                              ~d

                              Dotti Enderle
                              * * *
                              MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
                              A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...

                              steps!
                              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=htt
                              p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072
                              <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=htt
                              p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd>
                              &hmpgID=115&bcd
                              =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                That and all the Broadway plays she attends. I don't know when or how she gets any work done. Oh yeah...she passes it on to a different editor.

                                ~d

                                Dotti Enderle
                                * * *

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                  I don't know Varsha. You better ask Mary about that.

                                  Carmen

                                  In a message dated 7/26/2009 6:17:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                  author@... writes:

                                  Carmen,

                                  Can you or Mary check in with Elizabeth law and Penfold?

                                  Varsha

                                  steps!
                                  (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                                  =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                                • Lynne Kelly Hoenig
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                    Well, at least American Idol season is over, so that should free up some
                                    time!

                                    What's funny is--you may have seen this, Dotti-- I joked with her about
                                    that, when she was doing some minute-by-minute update for something she was
                                    watching. I said that people who have submissions to her must see her online
                                    and want to scream, "Turn off the TV! Read my manuscript!" Of course I was
                                    teasing, but she said that she actually worried about that and I made her
                                    more paranoid, so she was going to delete all writers from her Facebook
                                    friends. I begged her not to do such a thing, or all her ex-friends would
                                    forever know me as "The Girl Who Ruined Everything and Made Elizabeth Go
                                    Away."

                                    On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Dotti Enderle <enderle4@...>wrote:

                                    > That and all the Broadway plays she attends. I don't know when or how she
                                    > gets any work done. Oh yeah...she passes it on to a different editor.
                                    >

                                    > ~d
                                    >
                                    > Dotti Enderle
                                    > * * *
                                    > MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
                                    > A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...
                                    > http://www.dottienderle.com

                                  • Barbara Browning
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                      Carmen-I got a rejection letter from a Ms. Allison Sweiss at Egmont who said she was standing in for Elizabeth Law. Barbara Browning

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                        Barb,

                                        That's who the email submissions went to, so maybe that's who we hear from.

                                        Marydw

                                        --- On Sun, 7/26/09, _ctbkaty@..._ (mailto:ctbkaty@...)

                                        From: _ctbkaty@..._ (mailto:ctbkaty@...) <_ctbkaty@..._
                                        (mailto:ctbkaty@...) >
                                        To: _scbwi-houston@scbwi-houstoscb_ (mailto:scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com)
                                        Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 4:34 PM

                                        (_http://pr.atwola._ (http://pr.atwola./) com/promoclk/ 100126575x122258
                                        5106x1201462830/ aol?redir= _http://www._ (http://www./) freecreditreport

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                          I didn't see that, Lynne, but that's hilarious.

                                          And it was Alison Weiss, Editorial Assistant, who rejected my YA. She said Elizabeth passed it along to her.

                                          ~d

                                          Dotti Enderle
                                          * * *

                                        • Samantha Clark
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                            I submitted to Alexandra Penfold and Elizabeth Law in May and haven't heard from either.

                                            Since then I've found a much better way to open my book and have thought about emailing them both and asking if I can resubmit if they haven't read it yet. Anyone think that's a good idea or bad idea and just move on to others with the reworked ms?

                                            Thanks,
                                            Samantha Clark
                                            daybydaywriter.wordpress.com
                                          • monicakatytx
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                              Yes, Allison sent my my rejection letter. It was nicely worded and personalized.

                                              BUT, I did send a "status query" after three months to her. About a month later, she got back to me.

                                              Monica

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                                Samantha, I don't think resubmitting to those editors is a good idea. The Editors Day policy is that you can only sub one time. I think asking to resend would annoy them and look bad for our chapter. I'd submit the manuscript to a different house instead.

                                                ~d

                                                Dotti Enderle
                                                * * *

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                                  Dottie is absolutely correct. Only if you are invited should you submit
                                                  more material to that editor. They continue to go to conferences, and their
                                                  submissions would grow exponentially.

                                                  Submit the story elsewhere.

                                                  Marydw

                                                  _http://www.dottiendhttp://w_ (http://www.dottienderle.com/)

                                                  I submitted to Alexandra Penfold and Elizabeth Law in May and haven't
                                                  heard from either.

                                                  Since then I've found a much better way to open my book and have thought
                                                  about emailing them both and asking if I can resubmit if they haven't read
                                                  it yet. Anyone think that's a good idea or bad idea and just move on to
                                                  others with the reworked ms?

                                                  Thanks,
                                                  Samantha Clark
                                                  daybydaywriter.daybydaywrday

                                                  **************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
                                                  score. See now!
                                                  (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823322x1201398723/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI
                                                  D=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)

                                                • Samantha Clark
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 28, 2009
                                                    Thanks, Dotti. I was thinking the same thing.

                                                    Sam