Editor Day

  • marydwade@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 10 6:29 PM
      My apologies if this is a double posting to you.

      I want to be sure that those planning to attend Editor Day on February 24
      get their registrations to me. This is a unique opportunity to get your work
      seen by an editor. We do not plan to have registration at the door.

      Mary Wade
      17522 Brushy River
      Houston TX 77095

    • Lindsay, Sheila O
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 13 7:44 AM
        Mary,

        Just wanted to make sure you received my registration. Should I have
        received something back?

        Sheila

        Sheila O Lindsay, Secretary

        University of Houston

        Graduate College of Social Work

        Office for Drug & Social Policy Reseach

        Ph: 713-743-8098 Fax: 713-743-3985

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 22, 2009
          I'm still waiting to hear from Golden Books and Simon & Schuster about my Editor Day submissions.

          Is anyone else still waiting on these two editors?

          Doris
        • Varsha Bajaj
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 23, 2009
            I didn't submit to Golden Books but have not heard back from S&S. Has
            anyone?

            Varsha

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 24, 2009
              It took a little over 3 months for my Golden Book rejection. So, I guess it would depend on when you submitted... I only recently submitted to S&S.

              Has anyone heard from Egmont?

              Monica

              --- In scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com, "abcdoris2003" <abcdoris@...> wrote:

              > I'm still waiting to hear from Golden Books and Simon & Schuster about my Editor Day submissions.
              >
              > Is anyone else still waiting on these two editors?
              >
              > Doris

            • abcdoris2003
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 24, 2009
                Thanks for the info. I submitted to Golden Books and S & S on March 1 and am still waiting for replies from both.

                Doris
              • marydwade@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                  Carmen,

                  I have heard from Diane Muldrow and Amy Lennex, and got the funniest
                  rejection from Allyn Johnston. She said something to the effect that she so
                  wanted to love the characters enough to feel they would be successful in today's
                  market, but... and ended with DAMN! [caps and exclamation point hers] I
                  laughed out loud at this rejection.

                  Nothing from E. Law, the only person who has ever been to 3 conferences in
                  Houston. But that's a whole other story. Makes me almost wish I had Allyn's
                  vocabulary.

                  Marydw
                  **************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
                  score. See now!
                  (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221323048x1201367271/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI
                  D=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                    By the way, my agent submitted my YA to Elizabeth not long after Editor's Day, and Elizabeth passed it over to another editor to read. I'm guessing she did the same with all the ED subs.

                    ~d

                    Dotti Enderle
                    * * *
                    MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
                    A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...

                  • ctbkaty@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                      There seems to be a trend here. Nobody has heard from either Elizabeth Law
                      or Alexandra Penfold so far. Do you suppose they got the axe?

                      steps!
                      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                      =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                        Not Elizabeth. She's still updating her status on facebook every fifteen minutes. If she were moving we'd know.

                        ~d

                        Dotti Enderle
                        * * *

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                          When I submitted to Elizabeth last time she was here, I heard from her over a year later.

                          Kathy

                          ww.kathyduval.com
                          http://whatsbrewingatkathysplace.blogspot.com/

                          I Think I See A UFO (Disney Hyperion, Summer 2011)
                          The Three Bears' Halloween (Holiday House, 2007)
                          The Three Bears' Christmas (Holiday House, 2005)

                          There seems to be a trend here. Nobody has heard from either Elizabeth Law
                          or Alexandra Penfold so far. Do you suppose they got the axe?

                          Carmen

                          ************ **A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy

                        • ReadGarland@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                            In a message dated 7/26/2009 5:51:55 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                            kathy@... writes:

                            When I submitted to Elizabeth last time she was here, I heard from her
                            over a year later.

                            I've heard other people say the same thing. That's why I have no qualms
                            about sending my manuscript to someone else.

                            Sherry

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                              Maybe that's why she doesn't have time to read manuscripts.

                              Carmen

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                Carmen,

                                Can you or Mary check in with Elizabeth law and Penfold?

                                Varsha

                                enderle4@... <mailto:enderle4%40earthlink.net> writes:

                                Not Elizabeth. She's still updating her status on facebook every fifteen
                                minutes. If she were moving we'd know.

                                ~d

                                Dotti Enderle
                                * * *
                                MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
                                A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...

                                steps!
                                (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=htt
                                p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072
                                <http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=htt
                                p://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd>
                                &hmpgID=115&bcd
                                =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                  That and all the Broadway plays she attends. I don't know when or how she gets any work done. Oh yeah...she passes it on to a different editor.

                                  ~d

                                  Dotti Enderle
                                  * * *

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                    I don't know Varsha. You better ask Mary about that.

                                    Carmen

                                    In a message dated 7/26/2009 6:17:44 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                                    author@... writes:

                                    Carmen,

                                    Can you or Mary check in with Elizabeth law and Penfold?

                                    Varsha

                                    steps!
                                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585106x1201462830/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=115&bcd
                                    =JulystepsfooterNO115)

                                  • Lynne Kelly Hoenig
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                      Well, at least American Idol season is over, so that should free up some
                                      time!

                                      What's funny is--you may have seen this, Dotti-- I joked with her about
                                      that, when she was doing some minute-by-minute update for something she was
                                      watching. I said that people who have submissions to her must see her online
                                      and want to scream, "Turn off the TV! Read my manuscript!" Of course I was
                                      teasing, but she said that she actually worried about that and I made her
                                      more paranoid, so she was going to delete all writers from her Facebook
                                      friends. I begged her not to do such a thing, or all her ex-friends would
                                      forever know me as "The Girl Who Ruined Everything and Made Elizabeth Go
                                      Away."

                                      On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Dotti Enderle <enderle4@...>wrote:

                                      > That and all the Broadway plays she attends. I don't know when or how she
                                      > gets any work done. Oh yeah...she passes it on to a different editor.
                                      >

                                      > ~d
                                      >
                                      > Dotti Enderle
                                      > * * *
                                      > MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
                                      > A novel about the magic that lives in all of us...
                                      > http://www.dottienderle.com

                                    • Barbara Browning
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                        Carmen-I got a rejection letter from a Ms. Allison Sweiss at Egmont who said she was standing in for Elizabeth Law. Barbara Browning

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                          Barb,

                                          That's who the email submissions went to, so maybe that's who we hear from.

                                          Marydw

                                          --- On Sun, 7/26/09, _ctbkaty@..._ (mailto:ctbkaty@...)

                                          From: _ctbkaty@..._ (mailto:ctbkaty@...) <_ctbkaty@..._
                                          (mailto:ctbkaty@...) >
                                          To: _scbwi-houston@scbwi-houstoscb_ (mailto:scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com)
                                          Date: Sunday, July 26, 2009, 4:34 PM

                                          (_http://pr.atwola._ (http://pr.atwola./) com/promoclk/ 100126575x122258
                                          5106x1201462830/ aol?redir= _http://www._ (http://www./) freecreditreport

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jul 26, 2009
                                            I didn't see that, Lynne, but that's hilarious.

                                            And it was Alison Weiss, Editorial Assistant, who rejected my YA. She said Elizabeth passed it along to her.

                                            ~d

                                            Dotti Enderle
                                            * * *

                                          • Samantha Clark
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                              I submitted to Alexandra Penfold and Elizabeth Law in May and haven't heard from either.

                                              Since then I've found a much better way to open my book and have thought about emailing them both and asking if I can resubmit if they haven't read it yet. Anyone think that's a good idea or bad idea and just move on to others with the reworked ms?

                                              Thanks,
                                              Samantha Clark
                                              daybydaywriter.wordpress.com
                                            • monicakatytx
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                                Yes, Allison sent my my rejection letter. It was nicely worded and personalized.

                                                BUT, I did send a "status query" after three months to her. About a month later, she got back to me.

                                                Monica

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                                  Samantha, I don't think resubmitting to those editors is a good idea. The Editors Day policy is that you can only sub one time. I think asking to resend would annoy them and look bad for our chapter. I'd submit the manuscript to a different house instead.

                                                  ~d

                                                  Dotti Enderle
                                                  * * *

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 27, 2009
                                                    Dottie is absolutely correct. Only if you are invited should you submit
                                                    more material to that editor. They continue to go to conferences, and their
                                                    submissions would grow exponentially.

                                                    Submit the story elsewhere.

                                                    Marydw

                                                    _http://www.dottiendhttp://w_ (http://www.dottienderle.com/)

                                                    I submitted to Alexandra Penfold and Elizabeth Law in May and haven't
                                                    heard from either.

                                                    Since then I've found a much better way to open my book and have thought
                                                    about emailing them both and asking if I can resubmit if they haven't read
                                                    it yet. Anyone think that's a good idea or bad idea and just move on to
                                                    others with the reworked ms?

                                                    Thanks,
                                                    Samantha Clark
                                                    daybydaywriter.daybydaywrday

                                                    **************A bad credit score is 600 & below. Checking won't affect your
                                                    score. See now!
                                                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823322x1201398723/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgI
                                                    D=62&bcd=JulyBadfooterNO62)

                                                  • Samantha Clark
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 28, 2009
                                                      Thanks, Dotti. I was thinking the same thing.

                                                      Sam