Re: [scbwi-houston] Question about speaking and "class sets."

  • marydwade@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
      Vikk,

      A class set can be anything from a few copies to use with a small reading
      group, or it can mean one copy per child. Number of children in a class would
      vary with the grade since the state mandates smaller numbers in the lower
      levels. Ask her what number she needs.

      As for selling at cost, that is up to you. If a school buys a full class
      set, I usually give a 10-20 percent discount, but never cost. You have paid
      shipping, etc.

      As for fee, perhaps she is thinking that purchase of books brings you as
      speaker. If so, no discount on the books. Look carefully at the profit you would
      make and see if it's worth your time.

      My policy when contacted by a school is to state in my response exactly how
      much I charge, including mileage/accommodations if appropriate, and how many
      presentations I will do for that. It may scare away some of the chances to
      speak, but it also eliminates headaches after you've spent your time and effort.

      Mary Wade

    • Wayne Edwards
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
        I think that is information lots of the speakers could benefit from. I would like to see all of the inputs.
        Wayne