RE: [scbwi-houston] December meeting

  • Doris Fisher
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 27, 2006
      I'm bringing copies of my books.
      Doris

      If you are planning to bring books to sell at the December meeting,
      let me know. We want to have enough table space and time alotted for
      all.

      Susan
    • Wayne Edwards
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 27, 2006
        Susan,
        I would love to be there, bring books and read a couple of poems. (I've got some very funny ones that I have just written.) but my wife gets home from surgery Friday and I may not make it.

        Wayne

        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 27, 2006
          I'll plan to bring my books.
          Debbie Frontiera

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 20, 2008
            Hi all,
            Just a reminder that we will have our traditional December meeting of
            fun, treats and book sales. Bring your books to sell and sign. This is a
            perfect time to so some holiday shopping. The Evite will go out soon and
            when you respond, let us know if you are bringing something sweet or
            salty. This way we'll have a balance of cookies, brownies, crackers,
            chips, cheese, etc. Drinks will be provided.
            There will also be games and prizes. And if anyone is brave enough to
            lead a chorus of Jingle Bells, there will be song.
            See you then!
            Vicki
          • Ana Maria Rodriguez
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 20, 2008
              Dear nonfiction colleagues:

              I would like to make a proposal to my fellow nonfiction authors who have
              published children’s books about science, nature, and technology.

              I have been looking for opportunities to spread the word about my writing
              and found this event in Houston. It seems that professional societies and
              other organizations are invited to participate in workshops and exhibits
              with the goal of bringing together resources and schools, teachers and
              families to improve education in science, technology, engineering and
              mathematics. This is organized by the University of Houston. Here is the
              link for more information: <http://hunstem.uhd.edu/HUNCon>
              http://hunstem.uhd.edu/HUNCon

              I think this might be a good venue for NF science/tech/nature writers to get
              the word out there that we are available to support children’s education
              with our work and that our participation in education would be beneficial to
              the kids and schools. The event offers the opportunity to present a workshop
              and/or have a booth. I was thinking of having a workshop presenting how we
              can be useful to schools. The downside of this event for us is that one of
              their two days coincides with our Editor Day (Feb 21, 09), which I don’t
              want to miss, as I am sure you don’t want to either.

              I don’t want to make this message too long, so I would like to invite all NF
              writers to meet briefly with me Dec 1st during our Christmas party and see
              if you are interested and hear about your input. I have mentioned this to
              Vicki and Carmen and they think it seems like a good idea for us to
              participate as an organization. We need to clarify details and see if other
              nf writers of our group would like to be a part of this.

              So, if you are interested in a preliminary talk, please let me know
              backchannel and hopefully we can meet on Dec 1st.

              Thanks!

              Ana María

              Ana Maria Rodriguez

              Visit my website at: <http://www.anamariarodriguez.com>
              www.anamariarodriguez.com

              _____

              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 30, 2008
                Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to sell
                and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect holiday
                gift, books!
              • millie martin
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 30, 2008
                  Vicki, are we meeting at 6:00 pm prior to the meeting?

                  I'm sorry to be so slow with catching up.

                  Millie

                  On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Vicki Sansum <vsansum@...>wrote:

                  > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to sell
                  > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect holiday
                  > gift, books!

                • Wayne Edwards
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
                    Vicki,
                    You wrote:

                    > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to sell
                    > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect holiday
                    > gift, books!

                    I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My children's books happen to be self published, one is an award winning book.
                    Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a published author or only published books will be allowed to be displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already been successful in getting their work published.
                    It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way). Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will have to leave here.
                    Wayne

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
                      Wayne, she's just reminding people to bring their books to sell. It doesn't matter if they're self-published or not.

                      Dotti

                      Dotti Enderle
                      * * *
                      MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
                      "A worthwhile read with a satisfying conclusion that will be long remembered." --School Library Journal

                      > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to sell
                      > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect holiday
                      > gift, books!

                      I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My children's books happen to be self published, one is an award winning book.
                      Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a published author or only published books will be allowed to be displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already been successful in getting their work published.
                      It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way). Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will have to leave here.
                      Wayne

                    • JoAn Watson Martin
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
                        Wayne,
                        I have four published books that I am taking tonight. Two were self
                        published, but the others are "royalty" published. After dealing with
                        difficult editors, I am beginning to prefer having control of my own
                        work, if only I'd win the lottery.I have been totally included by
                        SCBWI as a published author. Please come and bring your books.
                        Whatever route we are compelled to take to publication is great. See
                        you there.

                        JoAn

                        On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Wayne Edwards wrote:

                        > Vicki,
                        > You wrote:
                        >
                        > > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to
                        > sell
                        > > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect
                        > holiday
                        > > gift, books!
                        >
                        > I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children
                        > and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My
                        > children's books happen to be self published, one is an award
                        > winning book.
                        > Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a
                        > published author or only published books will be allowed to be
                        > displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to
                        > write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already
                        > been successful in getting their work published.
                        > It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way).
                        > Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will
                        > have to leave here.
                        > Wayne

                      • Wayne Edwards
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 1, 2008
                          Thanks,
                          It was a little misleading.
                          I'll load my Garmin.
                          Wayne

                          I have four published books that I am taking tonight. Two were self
                          published, but the others are "royalty" published. After dealing with
                          difficult editors, I am beginning to prefer having control of my own
                          work, if only I'd win the lottery.I have been totally included by
                          SCBWI as a published author. Please come and bring your books.
                          Whatever route we are compelled to take to publication is great. See
                          you there.

                          JoAn

                          On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Wayne Edwards wrote:

                          > Vicki,
                          > You wrote:
                          >
                          > > Just a reminder for all published members to bring their books to
                          > sell
                          > > and sign. A great opportunity for all of us to buy the perfect
                          > holiday
                          > > gift, books!
                          >
                          > I am a published author, I write a newspaper column for children
                          > and am recognized by the National SCBWI as a published author. My
                          > children's books happen to be self published, one is an award
                          > winning book.
                          > Do you mean that no books will be allowed unless the author is a
                          > published author or only published books will be allowed to be
                          > displayed? I thought that the group was to encourage writers to
                          > write not to be a closed cliché for those authors that have already
                          > been successful in getting their work published.
                          > It is a two hour trip for me to come to Houston, (4hrs. round way).
                          > Please let me know before 4:30, as that is the time that I will
                          > have to leave here.
                          > Wayne

                        • Vicki Sansum
                          Message 12 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
                            Hi all,

                            Just a reminder that Monday's meeting is our annual holiday celebration.
                            All authors and illustrators may bring their books to sell. It's a great
                            time to buy books for gifts and have them signed. Also, it's our one
                            time of the year that we bring food to the meeting. So if you'd like to
                            bring something sweet, salty, crunchy (or even healthy) to share with
                            everyone, we'll supply the drinks.
                            Pat and Aileen have some great games planned and there will be prizes.
                            So come to have fun and celebrate a great year!

                            Oh, and Pat has sent a message to everyone who is on our Evite list.
                            Please respond to Pat if you'd like to remain on this list. You don't
                            want to miss announcements for 2010, we already have a great line-up of
                            speakers (thank you Aileen and Pat).

                            And if you belong to any other writer's groups, blogs, sites, etc.
                            please feel free to pass on the news about our February conference.
                            We're sold out for manuscript critiques, but don't forget, anyone who
                            attends the conference may submit one manuscript to each editor after
                            the conference. So even if you don't have a critique you still have an
                            opportunity to get your work in front of the editors at a later time.

                            See you all Monday!
                            Vicki
                          • Vicki Sansum
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                              Hi all,
                              Not only will there be food and fun at the December meeting, we'll have
                              book sales by our local authors and illustrators. It's a perfect time to
                              buy an autographed book just in time for holiday gifts. Also, we'll have
                              another drawing for four $100 scholarships. These scholarships can be
                              used for any SCBWI event, you must be a SCBWI member to put your name
                              into the hat at the meeting.
                              Thanks!
                              Vicki
                              vsansum@...
                            • Pat Miller
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                                Yikes! I mentioned all this, plus the conference, in yesterday's e-vite. Did you not get one?

                                --
                                Pat Miller
                                Author Visits, Storytelling, Professional Workshops

                              • PamLV@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                                  Yes, I got it.  Its next Monday, right?
                                  Pam

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011
                                    Yes. Did the e-vite fail to come through yesterday? I'm still having some tech issues.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 28, 2011

                                      I got the evite.

                                      ~d

                                      Dotti Enderle

                                      * * *

                                      CROSSWIRE (Boyds Mills/Calkins Creek)

                                      * Texas Institute of Letters Young Adult Award Recipient

                                      * June Franklin Naylor Award for Best Children’s Book on Texas History

                                      * WWA Spur Award Finalist

                                         www.dottienderle.com

[...]

                                      No virus found in this message.

                                    • Bridgette Mongeon
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 29, 2011
                                        I didn't get evite, and I'm through with school. Time to celebrate getting that MFA!

                                        What is on the agenda? I'll bring invites to the upside down party at our place, for those who are interested.
                                        Bridgette