Joyce

  • Mary Ann Hellinghausen
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hi Carmen,

      I talked to Joyce today. She's still at Methodist and Jenny Suffredini and I
      are going to visit her there tomorrow.

      She sounded pretty good, considering, and didn't seem to think the stroke
      has had any lasting effects. Yet she is worried about living on her own and
      it sounds like she plans to sell her house, etc.

      I'm not sure where she was in the newsletter process, etc. If you need some
      help with editing or that kind of thing, I'm happy to help in that way. I'm
      not much good at layout - I think Joyce was doing that herself. If the
      chapter has money to pay someone to do that, I can research that.

      How's your house search going?

      Highlights FINALLY bought my polar bear article. That felt good.

      I'll keep you posted with what I know about Joyce. Would appreciate you
      doing the same.

      Thanks,
      Mary Ann
    • ctbkaty@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2006
        Joyce had a stroke last week, but is doing much better. She is at Methodist
        Hospital and will remain there through the weekend. I just talked to her and
        she even laughed a few times. Her speech was slightly affected early in the
        week, but is almost back to normal. Hopefully she will be just fine.

      • Mary Ann Hellinghausen
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
          Hello all,

          I wanted to give everyone a quick update on Joyce Harlow, our esteemed ARA.

          Jenny and I visited her Sunday at the skilled nursing facility she is in. That morning she had walked the hall with a walker. She is trying to recover her strength after two mild strokes and possibly a mild heart attack. She is very motivated to get stronger and be mobile again. She is strong mentally and has her same twinkling personality. However, she feels overwhelmed by this and is understandably concerned about her future living situation.

          She will be at Memorial Hermann Spring Shadow Pine until about Nov. 28. It's unclear where she will be after that.

          If you would like to send notes or cards to cheer her up, I'm sure she would welcome them. Her address is Memorial Hermann Spring Shadow Pine, 3033 Gessner, Room 2229-B, Houston, TX 77080.

          Thanks,
          Mary Ann Hellinghausen

        • Mary Ann Hellinghausen
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2006
            I sent this this morning, but it hasn't popped up yet, so am sending again. I apologize if you get this twice.

            Hello all,

            I wanted to give everyone a quick update on Joyce Harlow, our esteemed ARA.

            Jenny and I visited her Sunday at the skilled nursing facility she is in. That morning she had walked the hall with a walker. She is trying to recover her strength after two mild strokes and possibly a mild heart attack. She is very motivated to get stronger and be mobile again. She is strong mentally and has her same twinkling personality. However, she feels overwhelmed by this and is understandably concerned about her future living situation.

            She will be at Memorial Hermann Spring Shadow Pine until about Nov. 28. It's unclear where she will be after that.

            If you would like to send notes or cards to cheer her up, I'm sure she would welcome them. Her address is Memorial Hermann Spring Shadow Pine, 3033 Gessner, Room 2229-B, Houston, TX 77080.

            Happy Thanksgiving,
            Mary Ann Hellinghausen

          • marydwade@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
              Thanks, Mary Ann, for sending the update for everyone.

              Harold and I also visited Joyce Sunday afternoon too. She is frustrated, of
              course, that she can't keep the same pace that she had been, but, as you say,
              she is still Joyce.

              Mary Wade

            • Varsha Bajaj
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
                Mary Ann,

                Thank you for the update. I have been thinking about Joyce. Is she up
                to visitors? Would she welcome reading material?

                Varsha

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2006
                  Thanks, Mary Ann, for sending the update on Joyce and a mailing address for
                  her.

                  Best wishes,
                  Millie