Wayne's poem

  • marydwade@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2005
      Wayne,

      My husband and I got a big laugh out of your 50th anniversary poem since
      we've passed that milestone.

      And, congratulations on having a review by Glen Dromgoole. He is managing
      director of the State House Press/McWhinney Foundation at McMurry University in
      Abilene. His columns appear in the Houston Chronicle too.

      Mary Wade

    • ReadGarland@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
        Wayne--

        Congrats! Also, I hope you read your poem "I Wish I Were Six Again" to the
        group. It is one of my favorites.

        Sherry

      • Bookzforkidz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2005
          Where can I find the poem " I wish I were six again."

        • Wayne Edwards
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2005
            The title is, "Six Again". It is on page 198 of "MUSTARD", my book of
            humorous poems for grownups.

            Wayne

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2005
              Sherry,

              I finished the poem, Frank and His Trip to Mars. It ended up with 25 verses.
              Do you want me to send you a copy? Sorry about not reading Six Again. I
              didn't want to over extend my welcome.

            • ReadGarland@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
                Wayne --

                Sure, send me a copy.

                Also, where can I find that one you read about PC Santa Clause. May I read
                it at the Brazos Valley SCBWI party at my house this Friday?

                Thanks!

                Sherry

              • Wayne Edwards
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2005
                  Sherry,
                  The poem, Santa's Gone P.C. is in the Christmas book you bought from me
                  Monday night and you certainly may read it to the group. Wish them a merry
                  Christmas for me. You might also want to read my poem spoofing family
                  Christmas letters that is also in the book. If you misplaced the book, let
                  me know and I will e-mail it to you. Below is the complete poem, Dill Pickle
                  Stew. (I changed the name).

                  Wayne
                  DILL PICKLE STEW

                  Old Frank was a fellow who lived all alone

                  In a cave that was dark, with no telephone.

                  There were crickets and spiders and red ants galore

                  That lived there with Frank who slept on the floor.

                  Frank lived all alone as everyone knew.

                  He fed all his bugs on dill pickle stew.

                  And everyone said, when people came calling,

                  They left in a hurry with all the bugs crawling.

                  Now Frank was not clean, his cave was a mess,

                  It could have been neater, he was first to confess.

                  But his spiders and crickets and red ants were neat,

                  When they came in from outside, they wiped off their feet.

                  Then a stranger came calling the first they had seen;

                  They all asked in unison, "Sir, are your feet clean?"

                  "My feet?" said the stranger his friendliness gone,

                  "Of course they are not but I'll keep my shoes on!"

                  When they asked him his name, he said GooGaLee,

                  In a voice sounding much like those guys on TV.

                  His voice, they decided, was really so good,

                  That he could sell nickels that were made out of wood.

                  So they sat by the fire and ate dill pickle stew,

                  Taking turns spinning yarns from midnight 'till two.

                  It seems GooGaLee had just come from Mars

                  To check on the weather and look at new cars.

                  He explained as he spoke to Frank and his pals,

                  "There're no roads on Mars, they're only canals."

                  So he and his sister, or mother or brother?

                  (On Mars it is hard telling one from the other)

                  Had decided that he should come here to see,

                  If the things were all true that they saw on TV.

                  'Cause Earth's silly programs and weird TV stars

                  All came through quite clearly on the TVs on Mars.

                  So he'd picked tonight to come down and see

                  If Earth's cars were really like those on TV.

                  He had brought lots of money, (It just looked like rocks.)

                  That he carried tied up in three pairs of socks.

                  Then Frank told the stranger, about Earth's TV,

                  That the things that you buy are not what you see.

                  That the guy on the set, who sold all the cars

                  Was long thought, by many, to have come here from Mars.

                  GooGaLee was excited, his eyes were a-popping.

                  "First thing tomorrow, will you take me car shopping?"

                  So the spiders and crickets and red ants and Frank,

                  Put on their best cloths and went to the bank.

                  They took the Mars' money, (It just looked like rocks).

                  To the president's office wrapped up in the sox.

                  He looked at the bugs, GooGaLee and then Frank

                  And thought that it must be some sort of prank.

                  "Mars' money's exchange rate is really quite low."

                  The president said, as if he'd really know.

                  But liking the looks of Frank and his crew,

                  He gave them his car that was almost brand new.

                  "And if there's a market up there for used cars,

                  Give me a ring when you get back to Mars."

                  Now Frank had made sandwiches from left-over stew,

                  So they climbed in the car that was almost brand new.

                  Then GooGaLee said, "Roll the windows up tight,

                  Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a long flight."

                  Though Earth cars can't fly, as everyone knows.

                  He said, "Cross your fingers, your pinchers and toes."

                  Now, "reverse" in Martian, we all know means fly.

                  When he shifted to "R" they shot up through the sky.

                  The trip took ten days, or a week, maybe two.

                  When they got up to Mars, they were all sick of stew.

                  So they sat down to eat at GooGaLee's house

                  They dined on fried chicken or was it fried mouse?

                  And they all drank too much of the sweet MaLiMoo,

                  That forms on Mars plants, every morning like dew.

                  After dinner their host said he'd show them around,

                  Though Mars has no city or village or town.

                  They all live in caves with their friends and their pals

                  And swim every morning in the Martian canals.

                  But the thing they like most on the planet called Mars,

                  Is watching commercials, from Earth, about cars.

                  And they all adopt names to use when they play

                  Like Lincoln and Mercury and of course Chevrolet.

                  Now Frank had been welcomed with kisses and hugs

                  But the Martians admitted, they didn't like bugs.

                  So the crickets and spiders and red ants with Frank

                  Decided that they would play a neat prank.

                  The red ants built ant beds in the shape of small cars,

                  While the spiders spun webs to string the guitars.

                  That the crickets had made from things lying around

                  And surprising to all, they made a great sound.

                  They found a big box that was five foot by three

                  And cut out the front much like a TV.

                  The crickets and spiders played eight string guitars

                  While the ants in the box told lies about cars.

                  The Martians all said that they loved the commercial

                  That the bugs had performed without a rehearsal.

                  So the Martians all built their own TV frames

                  And invited the bugs to play for their games.

                  The American car names were used passed their quota

                  So the Martians told Frank they would call him Toyota.

                  They asked him to stay there on Mars with his crew.

                  And teach them all how to make dill pickle stew.

                  So he bought a new cave with a large screen TV,

                  Where he watches commercials with his pal GooGaLee.

                  And the banker on Earth bought fifteen new cars.

                  He got rich selling rocks that he claimed came from Mars.

                  By R. Wayne Edwards, December 2005