FW: [Kucinich-Hou] Helping Hurricane Katrina victims

  • Bonnie Lambourn
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005
      I apologise if this is a double to your list. I am forwarding email received
      from Progressive Action Alliance which seems to have good resources well
      spelled out, especially if someone is considering hosting a person or
      family. - Bonnie

      ----------
      From: Bill Crosier <paa@...>
      Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:09:25 -0500
      To: PAA Announcements List <kucinich-houston@...>, Houston-Riseup
      list <houston@...>
      Subject: [Kucinich-Hou] Helping Hurricane Katrina victims

      I'm sure you've heard on the radio, or seen the horrifying images on
      TV, of destruction left by Hurricane Katrina, and the many, many
      people left with nowhere to go. And you know how appalling it is
      that the Bush administration failed completely to either prepare for,
      or respond adequately to, this catastrophe.

      You can help, without waiting for the Bush regime to get their act together.

      First, there's a good compilation of information on volunteering and
      donating in Houston at
      http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/special/05/katrina/3332401 .
      If that link doesn't work, see the Chronicle's general page on
      Katrina news, relief efforts, helping refugees, etc. at
      http://www.chron.com/katrina/ . Both of these web pages have
      numerous links for donations, volunteering, etc.

      Second, if you'd like to do something more direct and personal to
      help, and can provide temporary housing for hurricane victims, read
      on.

      MoveOn.org just launched a web site, www.hurricanehousing.org, to
      connect your empty beds with victims who desperately need a place to
      wait out the storm. It seems to be better organized that other
      similar sites I've seen in the last few days.

      You can post your offer of housing (a spare room, extra bed, even a
      decent couch) on http://www.hurricanehousing.org and list any
      specifics about your offer, or search there for housing if you know
      someone who needs it.

      Cheryl and I registered our house (as one of hundreds of others
      already registered in southeast Texas) to accept a family in need.
      If you have some space in your home for one or more people, you can
      do this, too, or pass this on to people you know.

      There is a FAQ which answers many questions you may have (such as "I
      want to host, but have a concern...") at
      http://www.moveon.org/event/faq/index.html?faq_id=9

      MoveOn will pass requests from hurricane victims or relief agencies
      on to volunteer hosts (you), who can decide whether or not to respond
      to a particular request. The host remains anonymous until they reply
      to someone looking for housing.

      Go to http://www.hurricanehousing.org for information or to sign up.

      This project is coordinated by MoveOn.org, and is co-sponsored by
      NAACP, True Majority, Democracy for America, Working Assets, Blue
      Latinos, Donor Digital, and Fenton.

      --
      Bill Crosier
      Progressive Action Alliance http://progressiveactionalliance.org/
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005
        I think that it would be a good idea to scrub political comments such as,
        "When the Bush regime gets its act together." from our SCBWI correspondence.

        Wayne

      • Bookzforkidz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2005
          I agree with Wayne.