SPEAKER DIRECTORY AND SCBWI-SPEAKER'S CO-OP MEMBERSHIP TIME.

  • Kelly Bennett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2005
      CHILDREN'S AUTHORS AND ILLUSTRATORS: It's time to join and/or renew
      memberships in the SCBWI-Houston Web Directory and Speakers Co-operative.
      Information for joining both the Web Directory and the Speakers Co-operative
      is attached and below. A new Speaker Source Catalogue is in the works!
      Publication is set for early October. The deadline for joining the Co-op is
      August 31st.
      _______________________________

      2005-2006 Web Directory and Speaker Co-op MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION

      SCBWI-Houston Speaker's Web Directory, Level One: Annual Dues: $50.00

      Participants must be: SCBWI members, SCBWI-Houston Chapter subscribers, and
      "published" according to the SCBWI guidelines.

      Each member will receive a page on the SCBWI-Houston website with a photo,
      100- word bio, correct e-mail and website addresses.

      Participants for Level One must submit their photo, either a 35 mm hard copy
      or electronic file, all text for their page sent as a word attachment, and
      correct e-mail and website addresses, along with a check made out to
      SCBWI-Houston.

      Send all payment and materials to: Laura Edge
      3606 Clear Falls Drive
      Kingwood, TX 77339
      lbedge@...

      SCBWI-Houston Speaker's Marketing Cooperative:
      Renewing Member Annual Dues: $275.00 New Member Annual Dues: $425.00

      What is the goal? Promote our speakers, publicize our published authors and
      illustrators, and improve community awareness of Houston area authors.

      Who can participate?
      . Participants must be: SCBWI members, SCBWI-Houston Chapter
      subscribers, and
      "published" according to the SCBWI guidelines.
      . Applications for new members will be considered once a year by the
      sitting membership
      committee. No more than 15% of Co-op members will be self-published.
      . You must have done at least 5 school appearances prior to joining.
      . You must charge at least $400.00 a day for your presentation.
      . At least 75% of your speaking engagements every year must be paid
      engagements.
      . You must actively participate in planning one Speaker's Co-op event
      each year or chair a committee.

      What is the benefit to you if you are a published author/illustrator? If
      you are a published author/illustrator and a speaker/presenter - this
      marketing plan is designed to help you increase your visibility as a paid
      speaker and increase your earnings. You will benefit from a professionally
      produced, comprehensive marketing effort aimed at the people who buy books
      and hire speakers.

      What will you get for your money? Effective marketing is predicated on
      repetition and follow-up. By combining our talents and resources, we can
      achieve a level of exposure that would be prohibitively time-consuming and
      expensive for an individual. This cooperative marketing effort will give you
      far more exposure than you could achieve on your own. Flyers, catalogues,
      postcards, posters and databases are time consuming and costly to produce.

      Those who participate will be included in the following:
      . The SCBWI-Houston Web Directory as detailed above.
      . A glossy, four-color, 81/2 x 11 catalogue, in which each member will
      have at least a one-half page notice. Catalogues will be mailed to Region IV
      and VI schools, private schools, area bookstores, public libraries, local
      universities, and Region Education Service Centers, as well as to TLA
      attendees from 2004 who entered our drawing. Members will also receive 25
      catalogues for personal use.
      . At least 4 follow-up mailings directing recipients to our website
      and Source Book.
      . Access to the Co-op mailing list-currently there are more than 1700
      names on the list.
      . Potential Opportunities: The Co-op may sponsor booths at TLA, IRA,
      PTA Convention and other events at which we can promote our work, our books
      and speaker event availability.
      . Professional Support: A list-serv of co-op members facilitates
      interaction and joint participation in promotional events such as sharing
      festival booths and exchanging speaker visit opportunities.
      . This year we hope to host at least one event designed to help each
      of us improve our presentations, grow as speakers, and share marketing
      skills.

      How does the Cooperative work? Annual dues only partially fund our
      marketing effort-the postage fees alone are more than the dues! The bulk of
      the Cooperative's efforts will be financed by fund-raising events organized
      by, and featuring our members. In order to make these events a success, all
      members will be asked to volunteer their time and talents.

      SCBWI-Houston's Children's Writers Academy-101
      This one-day event, organized and facilitated by co-op members, will cover
      the basics of writing for children. This is our signature event which we
      will present each year. Everything you ever wanted to know about writing and
      publishing covered in one day.

      If you participate, what are your responsibilities to the Co-op?
      . Maintaining Active membership in SCBWI and SCBWI-Houston subscriber
      lists.
      . Payment of dues as outlined above.
      . A commitment to participate as a volunteer at a certain number of
      events - TLA, SCBWI Academy, committee chairmanship, etc.
      . Prompt delivery of requested information for inclusion in catalogue,
      etc.

      What do you need to do to join?

      New Marketing Co-op members must submit an application for membership. After
      their application has been processed by the membership committee, they must
      provide their photo, either a 35 mm hard copy or electronic file, 100 word
      bio for the web page (please send as a word attachment), and correct e-mail
      and website addresses, 3 to 5 autographed copies of your books (these can be
      all the same, or several different titles) along with a check made out to
      SCBWI-Houston.

      Renewing Members please check your existing web page for any changes or
      additions-including your contact address. If no changes need to be made,
      indicate this along with your payment. If changes need to be made, please
      send me the correct information as indicated under the "New" member
      information.

      Contact:

      Laura Edge: lbedge@...
      Kimberly Morris: kimberlymorris@...
      Kathy Combs: kathycombs@...
      Kelly Bennett: kelly@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2005
        Kelly, what is the deadline for the Speaker's Web Directory and dues?

        Dotti Enderle

        An Old-Fashioned Ghost Tale...
        The Ghost of Shady Lane (FTC 8, Llewellyn Publications)
        http://www.dottienderle.com
        http://www.fortunetellersclub.com