Re: [scbwi-houston] Concept of Round Robins

  • jennifer suffredini
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hi Rebecca,

      I've read a bit about this contest on some writer's discussion boards
      (e.g., the SCBWI national board). Some writers there have been concerned
      about it. I'm pasting in one of the posts below. The discussion is under
      the topic "Scholastic Contest" on the SCBWI national board.

      Jenny Suffredini

      Here's the post:

      Here's a contest that Scholastic is sponsoring in Woman's Day magazine:

      http://www.womansday.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9635&page_numbe
      r=2

      It seems the grand prize is only $115 worth of books, they keep all rights,
      and the author only gets free copies and sales in the Scholastic Book Club.

      Listen to rule 5:

      5. Submission of an entry grants Sponsors the exclusive right to publish,
      illustrate, edit, and print the entry for any and all purposes in any media
      whether currently in existence or hereafter invented (including but not
      limited to print and digital media) without further notice or compensation
      to the entrant or winner. Winner may be required to sign all necessary
      documents to transfer copyright ownership of the winning entry to Sponsors.

      What's up with this? What do you all think about it?

      I'd like to know what our SCBWI board has to say about this. I'd love to
      know what Scholastic has to say as well. In my opinion, this is as bad as
      any sham poetry outfit. If your picture book becomes another Click Clack
      Moo, you won't get paid a dime.

      For shame, Scholastic!!

      [This message was edited by Pam C on May 09, 2005 at 02:30 PM.]

      DAY; I