Domestic Violence Resource

  • Linda Woodward
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
      Carmen and all,

      I have worked with domestic violence over the years in various Hou agencies.
      The PRIME place is Women's Area Resource Center and they have branches

      . http://www.hawc.org/ 713-528-2121 (if you need help NOW)

      Domestic violence is a wicked syndrome; there is tons of lit on the web
      describing the cycle of violence. There are psychodynamics between the
      Perpetrator and the Victim that usually require professional counseling if
      not law enforcement intervention. Most women take their children and go to
      shelters and there are several in the Hou area. ANY physical contact is a
      felony assault and the woman should call the police or Sheriff, depending on
      where they live. About 70% do NOT press charges; many just suffer through
      the episodes of violence. The various agencies (Fort Bend Women's Center,
      for example) maintain lists of approved counselors-they may be social
      workers up thru MD psychiatrists.

      There are national domestic violence hotlines also. For the sake of getting
      you this basic stuff, I'll send that soon.

      Good luck.

      Linda

      Linda Woodward

      Ribbons N Rags\

      <http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ribbonsnrags/>
      www.home.earthlink.net/~ribbonsnrags/

      <mailto:lindawoodward@...> lindawoodward@...

      Rumor travels faster, but it don't stay put as long as truth--Will Rogers

      A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
      than a life spent doing nothing.--George Bernard Shaw

      Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their
      guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.--Mark Twain

    • ctbkaty@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        Thanks to all of you who sent suggestions for my friend. I've passed your
        advice on to her and now she has to make a decision about what to do. Hopefully
        she can get this straightened out. She and her husband started going together
        in high school. I didn't like him then and I like him even less now. Ick. Sorry
        to clutter our listserv with this stuff. Anybody else who has suggestions
        please send them directly to me and not to the whole list.