Re: [scbwi-houston] ragdoll cattery

  • tomytcoon@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2005
      A ragdoll is a certain breed of cat. A cattery is the place where they are
      bred. A cattery is the name they use for breeding cats, while a kennel is what
      they use for breeding dogs. Right, Linda?
      purrs,
      Rosemary

      > What's a ragdoll cattery????

    • Rebecca Nolen
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        I would like to say about the query that it would be nice to have round
        robin discussions about voice, pacing, etc.

        The problem that may be of concern is the amount of mail in our boxes.

        I think most of these areas are addressed at each conference but conferences
        cost money and are few and far between. On the other hand, if you are
        involved in a good critique group these issues find a person to person
        solution which is the best answer. And critique groups are free.

        For instance, I really need help with my pacing in my current story. But the
        question itself becomes very complicated and the answer would boil down to
        opinion, much like I would get in my critique group.

        If on the other hand people would like to know the definition of pacing that
        could be answered here.

        What do you think?

        P.S. Ragdolls are gorgeous cats

        "What is the use of a book," thought Alice, "without pictures or
        conversation?" Lewis Carroll
        A ragdoll is a certain breed of cat. A cattery is the place where they are
        bred. A cattery is the name they use for breeding cats, while a kennel is
        what
        they use for breeding dogs. Right, Linda?
        purrs,
        Rosemary

        > What's a ragdoll cattery????

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Danny Witte

          A ragdoll is a certain breed of cat. A cattery is the place where they are
          bred. A cattery is the name they use for breeding cats, while a kennel is
          what
          they use for breeding dogs. Right, Linda?
          purrs,
          Rosemary

          > What's a ragdoll cattery????

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          I believe in hard work and luck, and that the first often leads to the second. - J.K. Rowling

        • Kelly Bennett
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
            I don't see any reason why we can't have writing discussions on our
            list-serv--or discussions about anything else either. I am enjoying hearing
            more voices on this list! Let's keep chatting! Kelly

          • morris7625@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
              Basically, I just like looking at pictures of cats better than I like
              writing. Writing is hard work. Maybe I'll join that cat listserve and drop out of
              this one.

              Kimberly Morris
              Author, Speaker & Publishing Consultant
              http://www.kimberlymorris.com/
              http://www.publishingmatters.com/

            • Rebecca Nolen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
                Okay,

                Does anyone have any easy answers for pacing?

                Sometimes I get sick of looking at something over and over. I have several
                projects going, thinking that that will help but I still feel overwhelmed
                when I pull something else out to rework. Any suggestions besides drink more
                coffee?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 2, 2005
                    >but I still feel overwhelmed
                    when I pull something else out to rework.

                    I just got a call from my agent about a revision I should have had done weeks ago. Overwhelmed isn't even a strong enough word. I wish I knew the answer.

                    Dotti Enderle

                    An Old-Fashioned Ghost Tale...
                    The Ghost of Shady Lane (FTC 8, Llewellyn Publications)
                    http://www.dottienderle.com
                    http://www.fortunetellersclub.com

                  • Rebecca Nolen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
                      Thank you Dottie, and I'm not even published yet.

                      Whew!

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 3, 2005
                        RE: PACING TIP

                        Work from your outline. Make a grid. You need 4 column headings. They are:

                        POV (whose scene) Day/Time What Happens How many pages

                        Fill in the grid.

                        If you have several rows in which nothing of importance happens, then your
                        pace is going to seem slow.

                        If you want to speed up the pace, more stuff needs to happen in faster
                        sequence, and the scenes should get shorter.