Re: [scbwi-houston] The Trouble with Gerbils: A Writer's Question

    Message 1 of 6 , May 11, 2005
      Linda, I'm not sure if using a direct quote without a name is legal or not, but I think without a name the article has no credibility.

      Dotti Enderle

      An Old-Fashioned Ghost Tale...
      The Ghost of Shady Lane (FTC 8, Llewellyn Publications)
      http://www.dottienderle.com
      http://www.fortunetellersclub.com

    • morris7625@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 11, 2005
        Linda,

        You may want to think of this as an exercise in journalism and/or whistle
        blowing. If you have discovered unethical and/or illegal practices and want to
        expose them, I would think you would do better to the check the guidelines that
        pertain to investigative journalism where you are not obligated to reveal your
        sources.

        Kimberly Morris
        Author, Speaker & Publishing Consultant
        http://www.kimberlymorris.com/
        http://www.publishingmatters.com/

      • Vikk
        Message 3 of 6 , May 11, 2005
          Linda, the other consideration is whether the group has any type of restriction on passing on information and/or posts generated through the list. I am on a few lists where these injunctions are quite specific and anyone who wants to even pass the info must contact the person who wrote the post first.

          Linda Woodward <lindawoodward@...> wrote:

          Hi,

          I am not up-to-speed on legality of using on-line content in a closed forum
          in say an article or a book. The short imaginary version.

          * I am an active member of a gerbil breeders group, by invitation only.

          * I want to learn how to breed better gerbils for the children of America.

          * I DO learn some of that.

          * BUT, I learn more of the following:

          o Gerbil breeders who breed with genetic diseases and still sell to
          say Pets Mart

          o Breeders who keep their line foundation animals in filthy
          conditions and let the babies die (say)

          o Breeders who sell for $2K per breeder (not pet quality) gerbil and
          refuse to refund the money then the gerbil dies on Day 7 and the health
          contract said that it was guaranteed for 2 years and autopsy show it was a
          defect introduced by the breeder

          o Breeders who falsify pedigrees of their champions to sell at higher
          $

          o All the usual animal scandals of rigged show rings, etc.

          You get the point.

          Questions:

          1. Can I direct quote this material but omit the name, date, etc.
          without any legal problem?

          2. I think I could paraphrase and be ok, but that loses the "local
          color" of the original language.

          3. Can I direct quote and just say it's Anonymous Breeder #7?

          4. I COULD ask permission to quote and use names but it's very
          unlikely I could get it.

          5. Other things that are missing from my picture?

          This is all very hypothetical, of course. Would appreciate any public or
          private help on this. I am sure publication of this material would result
          in me being kicked out of the Gerbil Society of America.

          Linda Woodward

          Ribbons 'N Rags

          www.home.earthlink.net/~ribbonsnrags/

          lindawoodward@...

          Vikk
          Vikk Simmons (blog:www.thewriterspath.com )
          Teen Fiction: DIVIDED LOYALTIES, 2004 & VIDEO MAGIC, July 2005
          Travelbooks: Exploring History in Texas, 2005; Exploring the Arts & Cultures in Houston with Children, TBA; Exploring Houston with Children, 2001

        • Wayne Edwards
          Message 4 of 6 , May 11, 2005
            Do people really pay $2K for a gerbil? I'm selling the fish business!

            Wayne