Re: [scbwi-houston] Texas Teaching Standards

  • Mary Ann Hellinghausen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2003
      I may have been mistaken about TEKS - is it TAKS?
      Mary Ann
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7, 2003
        Mary Ann,

        Thanks so much for the site.

        Robin

      • Bonnie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7, 2003
          No - it is - hold onto your hat - TEKS plus CLEAR -I can't remember at this
          exact moment what this stands for, but it is supposedly more important than
          TEKS for curriculum. However, there is no CLEAR plan for certain subjects
          still - ie: art.
          TAKS is the TX ASSESSMENT KNOWLEDGE SKILLS and is the TEST that replaced
          TAAS, and thus what they are using TEKS and CLEAR to "TEACH TO".
          Bonnie
          --
          <blambourn@...>

          " When the first babie laughed for the first time, his laugh broke into a
          thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about.
          That was the begining of fairies. " - J.M. Barrie, The Little White Bird

          From: "Mary Ann Hellinghausen" <Mah@...>
          Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:34:02 -0500
          To: <scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com>

        • hmoppy94@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2003
            Dear Robin,
            I just got your e-mail; I'm on vacation in New England, but brought my laptop
            along wiht me. As to you query about Texas teaching standards, here is what
            you do:

            1) Go to this website:
            http://www.tea.state.tx.us/teks

            2) Scroll down to the aqua bar labeled "Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills"

            3) The various subjects under the TEKS bar are hypelinked. I assume you want
            something having to do with English teaching standards. That's Chapter 110:
            English Literature and Reading.

            4) Click on EL&R, and you'll have the topic further broken down as to grade
            level, etc.

            Hope this helps.

            Joyce Harlow
            HMOPPY94@...
          • hmoppy94@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2003
              Dear Mary Ann,
              TEKS stands for "Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills." It's the roadmap, or
              educational goals for each subject and grade level. A curriculum guide, if
              you will. People pronounce it "Tecks" (correct phonetically but easy to confuse
              with "techs," an entirely different breed of cat) or "teaks," which stands out
              like a sore thumb, but is more generally used.

              TAKS stands for "Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills" (I think); the
              successor to the state test formerly called TAAS.

              -Joyce