Re: [scbwi-houston] Creating a Teacher/Rading Group kit

  • Bonnie Lambourn
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2004
      Sorry I missed this earlier. Am cleaning out old emails now.
      If you want to go as far as see how teachers in HISD
      have to support what they are teaching in their lesson plans
      you might be able to access the information at www.houstonisd.org

      It sounds like you have your own really great less formal ideas though.
      How about a list of links to groups kids can get involved with to help?
      Maybe instructions with a form for how to start a petition or letter writing
      campaign.
      Teachers love letter-writing and anything with organizational skills...
      Whereas I [art teacher / activist] would like to see more kinesthetic
      actions
      such as putting on a puppet show and getting media attention to it...
      Bonnie Lambourn
      <blambourn@...>

      Watch GREENWATCH next show - Jan 5
      Houston Media Source
      cable access - channel 17
      alternate Wed. 9 - 10 pm
      "... all things share the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man ...
      the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports." - Chief Seattle,
      Duwamish

      From: Vikk <vikksimmons@...>
      Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 06:08:50 -0800 (PST)
      To: "scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com" <scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [scbwi-houston] Creating a Teacher/Rading Group kit

      Hi,

      I want to create a teacher/reading group kit and would like your input on
      ways that I might be able to do this. I have a list of book discussion
      questions that are included at the back of my book (a teen novel) that I can
      include but I'd like to have a few more items. I'm looking for things that
      would help a teacher, homeschooler, or even an organization or bookstore.

      Although my teen novel is a romance, the main thread deals with student's
      stepping out and taking a form of civic action, in this case they take up an
      environmental cause. Instead of the usual website, I'm constructing one
      called TeensTakeAction.com that focuses on the idea of kids mamking a
      difference in their nieghborhood, city, nation and world. I'll be running a
      contest during the entire 2005 year. I plan to post stories of kids who've
      identified a problem and taken action and made some kind of difference. What
      I want to do is create a kit that can be ordered that will have the book and
      several items to help do a lesson plan, an organization meeting, assist in
      gaining a girl scout or brownie, etc. badge, a book club, etc. I plan to see
      if there's a way to make some items downloadble from the website, too.

      Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

      Vikk
      Vikk Simmons
      www.thewriterspath.com
      DIVIDED LOYALTIES, Awe-Struck (Teen Fiction), Aug. 2004--NEW! & VIDEO MAGIC,
      Awe-Struck (Teen Fiction), July 2005
      Exploring History in Texas, Rowman & Littlefield, May 2005; Exploring the
      Arts & Cultures in Houston with Children, Rowman & Littlefield, 2005; ;
      Exploring Houston with Children, Republic of Texas Press, 2001

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .