Re: [scbwi-houston] newsletter inputs - Sally Ride festival

  • Vonna Carter
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2013
      The newsletter deadline is the 25th of each month. Please send your news to SCBWINews@....

      Yesterday I emailed this listserv with an extension for this month. I'd only received two news items and I knew there was more news out there. This must be an exceptionally busy time for everyone--in a good way, I hope. Those of you who still have news to send in, please do so today.

      Thank you.

      On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:49 AM, Marianne <mjdyson@...> wrote:

      Hi Vonna,

      Are the newsletter inputs due for October, or did I miss the deadline? I can’t remember what email to use to send them to you.

      I have three events scheduled for October, all open to the public:

      1.      I’ll be exhibiting (doing demos) at the Sally Ride Science Festival at Rice University on Saturday Oct. 12, 11-4:15. Main speaker is Barbara Morgan.  https://sallyridescience.com/events/festivals/13rice1012

      2.      Doing a presentation & signing at B&N, 5656 Fairmont Pkwy, Pasadena, TX 77505, October 13 at 5 p.m.

      3.      Speaking on “How Space Can Save the World” to the Alvin Library League, Oct 22, 11-12 lunch 12-1 program. First United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall, 611 W. South St. Alvin, TX. Cost $15.00 Contact Lynne: 281-331-0434.

      FYI, I’m also starting a new class with the WAVE program in CCISD on October 21, but that’s not open to the public!

      BTW, if anyone is interested in being my “assistant” at the Sally Ride booth, I’d love to have some help. There is no fee involved—they provide lunch and a chair at the table.  I’ll have models of space stuff, display copies of my books, and be using them to answer questions such as Why doesn’t the space station fall to Earth? How much do you weigh on the Moon, etc. I’m not allowed to sell anything there, but there will be at least 1000 girls 5th-8th grade in attendance. So if you have space/science books to display or bookmarks or something you want to hand out, that would be okay as long as they are science related (this is a science festival!). I did get bookmarks from the Lunar and Planetary Science Institute. I haven’t found anyone else who could afford to donate 1000 of anything to give out. But information is “free” so that’s what I’m offering!

      Marianne Dyson

      Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

      Former NASA Flight Controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson

      VonnaCarter.com: Lists! Children's and YA Agents/Editors at Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/ Online Workshops
      twitter
      facebook