Graphic novel 101

  • Samantha Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2013
      Hey,

      The Austin SCBWI is holding a Graphic Novel Workshop on Oct. 5, as many of you already know (we look forward to seeing you there). In preparation, we gathered up a Q&A about the format, with information about graphic novels themselves, answers to who could benefit from a workshop of this kind and examples of great graphic novels to look at. Even if you can't make the workshop, the article has lots of information and a great list of graphic novels that you should check out.

      Here are some exerpts:

      "Graphic novels cover all reading levels," from picture book-age up to adult

      "The graphic novel is the one format where publishers are open to authors and illustrators coming together to create a product before they bring it editors." And the format is another avenue for writers of all genres and employs illustrators in a variety of styles.

      "Learning about graphic novels, gives you insight into story creation by allowing you to explore narrative from a fresh perspective." It's not all about pictures and words; it's pacing, economy of language and visualizing your story's world and characters.

      "Graphic novels have won prestigious awards." Including the Printz! And many movies are based on graphic novels. Yours could be next.

      There's lots more in our Q&A. Have a look: http://www.austinscbwi.com/2013/08/21/graphic-novels-what-are-they-and-why-should-i-care/

      And we hope to see you at the workshop in October. Here are the details: http://www.austinscbwi.com/graphic-novel-workshop-2013/

      Registration is still open and there are some free copies of Cynthia Leitich Smith's graphic novels still available. You can register here: http://www.austinscbwi.com/graphic-novel-workshop-registration/

      See you there!
      --
      Samantha Clark
      Austin SCBWI ARA