Re: [scbwi-houston] Short story news and hail Twitter

  • pgshallock@...
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
      Congrats Tayyba! You are a good reason for me to engage more on Twitter! We miss you at critique.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 15, 2013, at 11:11 AM, "Tayyba" <tayyba@...> wrote:

      > Hey all - just wanted to share a little news with you. My literary short story, "I Breathed You First..." appears in Squawk Back Journal's Issue 97 that came out on Sunday: http://www.thesquawkback.com/2013/07/mayakanwal.html
      >
      > This piece isn't kid lit, but I want to share the story of how this piece found a home. Twitter, twitter, twitter. This piece is experimental and transgressive. It had been turned down by several other journals, saying they liked my writing and want to see more, but they couldn't publish this piece.
      >
      > Now I've been following all these journals' tweets, and tweets have a voice, if you will. I became aware of Squawk Back via retweets by another journal. Their tweets made me want to go out to drinks with them! And that is when I knew that this piece was meant for them. I sent it on Friday at lunch time. The editor got back to me by midnight, sent me an edited proof in the wee hours of Saturday morning, and it was out on Sunday.
      >
      > So if you're still holding out on finding your niche on twitter, I urge you to give it a shot. I don't post much, but I follow all the right people. (Thanks, Chantee, for nudging me to get active again.) And it's the following that gives you ears into the most intimate desires of the publishing world.
      >
      > Tayyba
      > Twitter: @mayakanwal
      > Web: http://mayakanwal.com

    • anna church
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2013
        Congratulations Tayyba!
        Great news!
        HUGS
        Anna

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
          Awesome news, girl! Love those type of success stories. Keep it going.

          Maria-Sent from my iPhone
        • Vonna Carter
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2013
            Actually, Tayyba, it is kid lit; it's YA, and it's gorgeous! Congratulations!