Re: [scbwi-houston] Best Self-Publishing Questions

  • Wayne Edwards
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8, 2013
      I have self published 15 books through Lightening Source. You can see the covers on www.familypoet.com
      Wayne

      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM, anna church <anna_church@...> wrote:

      Great suggestions Deborah F!
      Hugs
      Anna Church

      From: Deborah Frontiera <dfrontiera@...>
      To: scbwi-houston@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, July 8, 2013 3:06 PM
      Subject: Re: [scbwi-houston] Best Self-Publishing Questions

      I am unfamiliar with the two you mentioned, but have this advice:
      STAY AWAY from outfits like iUniverse, XLibris, Author House, Publish America and Tate Publishing. They charge a lot and make lots of promises but don't market you much.
      Create Space on Amazon is a good option if you do NOT have a lot of interior graphics--your book is more novel and less pictures.
      Deborah Frontiera

      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Kemi <kitkatbaby18@...> wrote:

      Hello,

      I am hoping to start working on getting my writing out, and I wanted to inquire or take a brief poll with comments as to which companies are good to do self-publishing with? As far as pricing( marketing, final product, working with you, etc.).

      I have looked into Dorrance Publishing and West Bow?

      Thank you

    • Rita Mills
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 9, 2013

        Kemi, I have several handouts about the basics of the publishing industry I can send you if you like.........as far as that goes I can forward them to anyone who would like to get them...........

        I also do workshops on independent publishing regularly but don’t have one on the books right now.............Rita

        PS – Just send an email to rita.mills@... and put HANDOUTS in the subject line............

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        Rita Mills

        rita.mills@...

        713-937-9184 (office to leave a message or RSVP for an event)

        866-289-1777 (fax)

        281-744-0626 (cell -- don’t text)

        www.BookConnectionOnline.com (Extension #1 on 713-937-9184)

      • JoAn Watson Martin
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2013
            Kemi,

          I have had a book published with Joel Turner. Google info@...  I was very pleased after
          I spent months trying to get a traditional publisher, this was a great solution.

          JoAn

          JoAn Watson Martin
          2407 Kilgore Rd.
          Baytown TX 77520

        • Rita Mills
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013

            JoAn...........I love Joel Turner and Americas Press.............they print a lot of my POD books............

            However, they are NOT a publisher, they are only a printer............they will print anyone’s books...........Rita

            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Rita Mills

            rita.mills@...

            713-937-9184 (office to leave a message or RSVP for an event)

            866-289-1777 (fax)

            281-744-0626 (cell -- don’t text)

            www.BookConnectionOnline.com (Extension #1 on 713-937-9184)

            www.TheNewEraTimes.com (Extension #2 on 713-937-9184)

          • anna church
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
              I am a self publisher and I own Mighty Lion Ventures Pub. LLC anyways I would recommend Lightning Source as a printer. They are professional and have treated us great!
              Hug-A-Bug hugs,
              Anna Church

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                POD printers like Lightning Source or even Create Space on Amazon are great if your book is mostly text with few interior graphics. But you lose quality in interior graphics and especially COLOR graphics like in a picture book. So those of you considering POD, keep that in mind.
                I recently did a "second print run" of my book Living on Sisu through Create Space. The historic photos are not quite as good, but acceptable, in the Create Space version. But for now, with the book having been out 4 years, not having the money for a full new print run, and wanting less risk on an "older" book that I wanted to keep in print for a while yet, it was the right choice for me.
                Debbie Frontiera

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2013
                  Deborah- Please look at my website,http://www.hugabugtravels.com
                  Lightning Source is my printer and I create children's picture books. I am the co-author /co-illustrator and the vivid colors are great!  Are you sure Lightning Source has bad quality? I have been using them for 4 years plus and I am preparing to publish my fourth book of Hug-A-Bug Travels Series.
                  Hug-A-Bug hugs,
                  Anna Church

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013
                    Dear Anna,
                    Perhaps Lightning Source has improved it's equipment for better children's interior art since I first began with them. That is good to hear. Thanks for the update.
                    Deborah

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013
                      Thanks for your comment back! I really like Lightning Source and they have been very professional with me.
                      Anna Church