Re: [scbwi-houston] My first indie book is out!

  • Bruce Foster
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 22, 2013
      Congratulations, Marianne!  The book looks exciting, informative, and inspiring!

      Bruce Foster
      http://www.paperpops.com
      281-373-0846
      832-594-8939 cell

      On Jun 21, 2013, at 7:03 PM, Marianne wrote:

      Well, I finally got it done: my first self-published/indie book, The Callahan Kids: Tales of Life on Mars, is now available via CreateSpace: https://www.createspace.com/4098156. This is an anthology for middle-school (7th grade reading level) by 7 authors, including Ben Bova, with a gorgeous cover (and interior illustrations) by Michael Carroll.

      These stories were commissioned by a small company called 4Frontiers that hopes to eventually build an Epcot-like exhibit/educational center based on this Mars settlement—but those plans are on hold until the New Space launch business gets going in Florida (fingers crossed on that!). The company is donating 50% of the royalties to pay for future stories which we hope to have illustrated by kids via a contest.

      I sure learned a lot about formatting for Kindle and CreateSpace (the book is also an ebook), especially dealing with interior art/images/headers/hotlinks! I’m happy to answer “geeky” questions any of you might have about those things. (I found very little of use in the online help files, so I may be writing some articles to help others avoid the problems I had with Word and pdfs!)

      The key to self-publishing as most of you know is promotion, and I’m not confident I have that figured out. (Does anyone?!) Those of you on Facebook, I’d sure appreciate it if you’d “like” the 4Frontiers Authors page (enter “4Frontiers” into the search bar to find it) and share the link I posted there and on my page. If any of you would be willing to review it on Goodreads, let me know, and I’ll get you a copy. I’ll be offering them for sale at the Authors and Ice Cream event on July 20th.

      I bought the extra distribution channels that CreateSpace offers. Have any of you “tested” how well that works? They claim that book stores and museums can order copies via Ingrams. I’ll have to sell quite a few copies to earn back that fee. I bet they make a fortune on those fees! Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained! I’ll be sure to share my experience as it unfolds.

      To the stars,

      Marianne Dyson

      Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

      Former NASA Flight Controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson

    • katina chimney
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
        Congratulations!!! :-)

        This is your life. Live it.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013
          Congratulations! Good luck on your adventure of indie books!

          Hug-A-Bug hugs,
          Anna Church
          Member of Houston SCBWI

        • colburnc@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013
            Great, Marianne! As usual, you are charting new paths for all of us. Thanks for your generosity in sharing your hard-gained wisdom. c: