Re: Night Owl Speaks out

  • Marianne
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2013

      Congratulations to Lynne on the Crystal Kite! Way to go!

      Merrill Center is a great venue, and it’s true that no matter where we have events, someone will have a long drive. And workshops should be held at the speaker’s convenience. But perhaps we can offer workshops and even “regional” meetings in other places a few times a year. Libraries may welcome this idea, and often have free meeting rooms.

      As Carmen will attest, I did drag my “lazy butt” out of bed this year for the conference, arriving at her house at 7 a.m. for the carpool. I didn’t get a hotel room because I hosted a friend overnight who came from even farther away. (But thanks for the offer, Tina—that is very generous of you!)

      Apparently some of you don’t realize that getting up early is a real physical problem for some of us, not a motivational issue. It is similar I think to the way thin people can’t understand that overweight people can’t just not eat and lose weight. I should just set the alarm! Unfortunately, my brain isn’t fooled. My circadian is what it is just like heavy people’s metabolism is what it is. I fight it all the time, but I always lose. Sometimes the effects are worse than others. This year, it only cost me one day of a migraine to attend the conference. (If I sell a book, it will have been worth it, ha!)

      So, though I am doomed to be different, I hope you will at least consider shifting the start time to 9. There are other ways to add content than starting earlier.

      One “low-hanging fruit” option is to simply end later—dinner at 5 is early for most of us, and nearly everything was done at 4 this year except for those waiting in line for Peter’s signature. A way to address that problem is to have the guests sign preordered copies the night before and/or during the day for pickup at the end of the day. No waiting in line! That’s a great incentive to preorder, and I bet the bookstore would appreciate that, too. We could also all make some already-signed copies available for purchase for those who don’t want them personalized.

      We have an amazing chapter with many talented members, and I appreciate you all. Thanks for welcoming even a lazy night owl as part of this chapter.

      To the stars,

      Marianne Dyson

      Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

      Former NASA Flight Controller;

      http://www.mdyson.com

      Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson

    • Tayyba K
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2013
        Marianne - It's a great suggestion to have some of our meetings at least in a different part of town. Especially weekday evening meetings in town would be against the traffic flow, which one has to struggle through going out of the city on Monday evenings.

        If people are open to considering this for some of our monthly meetings, I would be happy to research some convenient options that would accommodate our group.

        Tayyba
      • Felicia Lilley
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2013
          Just my two cents about having the books presigned.  One of the reasons that I bought the book was to have the opportunity to meet Peter when he signed my book.  I come from out of town and having to make a signing the night before the conference would not work for me.  I had no problem standing in line.  And although, I live only 2 hours away and could have driven home but I chose to get a hotel room for another night after the long day.