Re: [scbwi-houston] A conference success story

  • readgarland
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 13, 2013
      First, congratulations to Warren!

      Secondly, I'd like to add my two cents about the opportunities that the SCBWI conference affords.  One of the writers whose manuscript I critiqued last year recently sold her YA novel to a major publisher. I saw tremendous potential in the story and knew in my heart that it would sell one day.

      Sherry Garland

    • Peggy
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2013

        Congrats to you, Warren, for a job well done. And I have always loved Tricia Tusa's drawings! Looks like a fun story! Peggy Shallock

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18, 2013
            To SCBWIers,
              Last year one of our members sent a message offering the chance to be an extra in a movie.
          I followed up on it and had a terrific time.
              Am now trying to "pay it forward" by offering an opportunity I've come across. This is not
          right for everyone, but could be very exciting for the right person.
              A friend is seeking someone to write the libretto for a children's opera which is being
          composed.  The storyline will be based on three well-known children's fairy tales.  The
          opera, I believe, will be about 45 minutes long and will be performed here.
              If you have a music background, or think this is something you'd like to explore further,
          please contact Mary Carol Warwick.  Her email is  mcwarwick@....
              Hope this works out for one of our members!
                           Best regards,
                           Lynn Abrams

          P.S.   I'd love to hear from you offline if this develops into a possibility for you.

        • Christina Mandelski
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2013
            Good morning everyone,

            I just wanted to mention a promotion effort that's about to take place to launch the debut novel of the late Bridget Zinn, whose debut novel, POISON (Hyperion), is coming out in March. I'm sure that many of you followed Bridget's battle with cancer. She passed away in 2011.

            There are many easy ways to help get the word out about this book, including a blog tour, tweeting and facebook sharing. Here's the link:

            http://www.inarascott.com/2013/02/be-a-part-of-bridgets-team-celebrate-poison/

            Thanks, hope you all have a good day.

            Chris

            THE SWEETEST THING a young adult novel about love, loss and cake.
            Egmont USA
            www.christinamandelski.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
              Hi all,
              I received the below message from an SCBWI member in San Antonio. She
              wanted to let us know how one of our conferences led to a book sale for
              her. Below is how her success story started.
              Vicki

              Dear Vicki,

              I have always felt fortunate to be a part of such a dynamic and supportive organization as the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, and I want to share my good news – because your chapter helped to make it happen.

              In 2009, less than a year after moving to Texas from the Chicago area, I attended the 2009 SCBWI-Houston Editor Day. I enjoyed the company of so many of my fellow, friendly Texas-based SCBWI members at the conference.

              The inspiring speakers that day included Amy Lennex, Editor with Sleeping Bear Press. I was familiar with the beautiful books from Sleeping Bear Press and was very interested to hear her speak.

              That morning, Ms. Lennex discussed several series they publish including “Tales of the World.” As she spoke, I scrawled two words next to my notes – “War Brides” – the subject of a historical picture book I had been researching and writing. The manuscript explored the story of a young British boy (son of a WWII English War Bride and her American serviceman husband) who undertakes a journey with his mother on the ship the Queen Mary from England to their new U.S. home.

              On April 17, 2009 I affixed my SCBWI-Houston sticker to the envelope and mailed my manuscript to Ms. Lennex.

              Following some careful revisions under the skilled editorial guidance of Ms. Lennex, Sleeping Bear Press is this month releasing that book, WELCOME TO AMERICA, CHAMP! with amazing illustrations by Doris Ettlinger.

              I understand that many people put forth much effort into planning your exciting, well-organized conferences. I want you to know these conferences do make a difference in the lives and careers of your attendees and foster important connections between writers, illustrators, editors and agents.

              I am sure my experience is just one of many examples.

              Thank you again for providing these wonderful opportunities to all our Texas SCBWI members.

              Best Wishes,

              Catherine Stier
              SCBWI-Southwest Texas
            • marydwade@...
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 22, 2013
                And, Vicki, this is what makes your job so important...and worthwhile!

                Marydw

                In a message dated 3/22/2013 8:36:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time, vsansum@... writes:
[...]

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional