Re: [scbwi-houston] Re: travel expenses

  • Bryan Kile
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2013
      I have been advised by my church denominational office that the IRS allowance has gone up to 56.5 cents per mile for 2013.
      Bryan Kile

      On 2/6/2013 11:07 AM, PamLV@... wrote:

      And there have been years the rate changed mid-year.  It's good to check it at least every 4-6 months for accuracy and easy to google on the Internet.

      Pam Van Scoyoc

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 6, 2013
        Lynne, I've used the IRS's 55 cent when I've driven outside the Houston area. Kathy

        On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Ginger Calem <ginger@...> wrote:

        Hi Lynne,

        I can't answer for the mileage reimbursement because I haven't presented anywhere where I've driven. But last month I flew to Sacramento to speak to an RWA chapter. They paid for my ticket and hotel and my speaking fee.  I'd be curious about the mileage reimbursement as well in case I book an engagement within driving distance.

        Ginger Calem

        On Feb 6, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Lynne Kelly wrote:

        Hey folks!

        I got an email about doing a presentation in San Antonio (maybe some of you got it too?), and they asked what I would charge for travel expenses. Other than your speaking fee, how have you figured travel fees, if you've done out-of-town visits? Do you use the IRS's 55 cents/mile or whatever it is now? I don't know what time of day the presentation would be, but especially if it's in the morning I'd need to stay in a hotel the night before too.

        Thanks!

        --
        Visit me at kathyduval.com!
      • Lynne Kelly

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 6, 2013

            I charge $1/mile roundtrip to make it easy to calculate, but I subtract out the first 20 miles so that I’m not charging travel expenses for local visits. I don’t charge for meals (like Dotti, I’m happy with the cheap stuff!), but schools etc. usually provide a meal if I’m there all day, and I usually ask if a group would want to go out to dinner with me afterwards.

            I keep track of all my expenses for the IRS, even if I don’t ask for reimbursement from the sponsor. This includes the stops at Macs, trips to SCBWI meetings or critique groups, parking fees, computer supplies, a portion of our electric bill that covers my home office, EVERYTHING I can legally claim.

            Note, if your spouse accompanies you on some of these trips, if it is considered “customary” or “expected” for the spouse to attend meals (such as going to dinner with librarians or teachers who bring their spouses or kids), their portion of the bill is also deductible. And hotel rooms are deductible at the rate that would be charged for you being there by yourself—which is usually the same rate as for a double occupancy.

            So, I suggest we all start taking our spouses along to SCBWI dinner meetings <g>!

            Marianne Dyson

            Golden Kite & AIP Science Writing Award winner;

            Former NASA Flight Controller;

            http://www.mdyson.com

            Twitter/Facebook: MarianneDyson